KOTOR on Powerbook G4 - rubbish!!!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Paranoidmarvin, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Paranoidmarvin macrumors newbie

Paranoidmarvin

I have been running KOTOR on my 1.5ghz Powerbook G4 with 64mb of VRAM.
    I quite clearly exceed the recommended minimum specs by a reasonable amount.
    So, could someone please explain to me Why the games is almost unplayable!
    The game was fine on the Taris levels, although a bit choppy.
    I have know that having an older graphics card without Pixel and vertex shaders have the same problems, but I have a Radeon 9700! There should be no problem!?
    Is there a problem with my software or my hardware - or is this a problem on every mac :confused:

2. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Well, to begin with games are slow on OSX and the PBG4 is a slow machine, seriously, the gap between MBP and PBG4 is not a generation apart, more like 3-4.

Try lowering the settings and put up with it, sorry not much you can do about it.

3. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Have you got enough RAM? Running any other apps?

(Works fine for me with a 1.8GHz G5 iMac with 768MB of RAM)

4. Paranoidmarvin thread starter macrumors newbie

Paranoidmarvin

Sorry, I should have put more specs. I have the 1.5/1.67ghz low res powerbook, with a Mobility Radeon 9700 with 64mb of VRAM. I have put 1.5gb of RAM in it.
    I have tried playing the game with the lowest settings and it makes no difference.
    Also, the Macbook Pro may be faster, but not by much, the Powerbook is still a fast machine.
    There must be a bug in the software. I have no problems runnings Sims 2 or Homeworld 2 - both of which I would consider to be much heavier programs.

5. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

The MBP is a great deal faster. Much faster RAM, system bus, processor, graphics card…*you get the picture.

6. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Not to put down on your computer but Apple was stuck with PowerBook G4 for more time than it should have been, in fact, the G4, even at 1.5ghz can be compared to early Willamettes P4s... now that is close to 3 or 4 processor generations behind! (and lets not forget Netburst to Core is a huge jump all by itself), the graphics chip is 2-3 generations behind (depending how you look at it), even the memory interface (all by itself) is a generation behind.

Just think about the 5x performance claims... thats way too much (like 15 minutes vs 1hour 30 minutes in iMovie effects according to some tests I did), its almost the performance difference you see between different console generations... and lets not forget a console is updated every 5-6 years...

Now don't get me wrong, I liked my PowerBook G4 very much but I was well aware of how technologically retarded it was...

And of course well all have the sucky G5 processor to blame for that...

7. Paranoidmarvin thread starter macrumors newbie

Paranoidmarvin

I disagree, PPC can not be compared to a netburst CPU in pure mHz. For a start, the G4 has altivec, which P4s do not have.
    I have compared my G4 to my Dad's Pentium D, and the G4 won. The Powerbook is lacking in graphics banwidth, but the GPU itself is one of the best pre-X ATIs out there.
    The minimum specs for KOTOR state a 1ghz G4 and in the PPC world, 500mhz more is a lot (hence the noticable speed increase with the 1.67gHz Powerbooks)
    The Macbook Pro is faster than the G4, but in real life, not by as much as Apple says - and it is definately faster than a P4 Willamette!

8. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Those were specific tests…*and I'd be willing to bet my MacBook (non Pro) outperforms your Powerbook by a good margin as well. And yes, it can outperform the G4 by as much as Apple says, in real life – just not 100% of the time. And are you saying your G4 chip is faster than the P4, or the Core Duo? Because the first one is iffy, while the second one is obvious.

9. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

My old PBG4 was exactly the same as yours (except with 1024MB RAM) also had problems with KOTOR. While looking for a fix I noticed it ran smoothly on my parent's iMac G5 and my friend's 2.8GHz P4, so I say it's the G4's fault. On the upside I found that performance is the same on highest settings when compared to lowest. Have you turned off Vertex Buffer Objects? If you do you'll find a lot better performance.

10. Paranoidmarvin thread starter macrumors newbie

Paranoidmarvin

Thanks neonblue2, the fix worked perfectly. The game now runs how it should on a G4.
    It definately shoes that the problem was not with the hardware!
    From what I have heard, it is a problem with openGl in Tiger - as there are no such problems in Panther.
    So if anyone else has this problem, try neonblue2's fix or run it under Panther :)

11. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Well I've compared my 3.0ghz Pentium 4 to the 3mb L3 cache 1.5ghz G4 on my PowerMac and the Pentium won, don't try to feel better about your PowerBook G4, I know, I also spended tons of cash on my PBG4 but I admit the G4 on it is not good at all and that its an outdated computer (and was when it was being sold), thats why I sold it and got a MBP and MacBook Pro is a LOT faster (my very own tests proved the MBP to be as little as 2.5x faster and as much as 5.1x faster, and this translated on one particular iMovie test to an extra hour and 15 minutes it took G4 to apply an effect (MBP took 15 minutes)), the MBP is a lot faster than PBG4 and the 5x performance claims by Apple are definitely not marketing hype, they are real.

I'm just gonna stop writing now, I don't know why people can't see that PowerBook G4 was a slow and outdated computer, maybe they are trying to feel better about the 2 grand those computers cost but I spend that too on my old PB but I'm not as blind as not to see how slow the computer was in comparison to other laptops at the time.

12. Cloudgazer macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

I have the pbook listed in my specs below and thought KOTOR ran just fine.

I certainly didn't run it at the lowest settings - most of them were turned up high.
    I had serious problems on Dantooine, but believe this was a bug in the game.

I'm not what you'd call a hard-core gamer. Adn don't count frame rates.

But it was very playable, maybe during combat the graphics got a 'little choppy' but nothing that anyone could even conssider unplayable.

Oh, and I played it when I only had 512mb, before i added extra memory. I was also running Panther at the time. I've only been running Tiger for a week.
    Haven't tried playing it since I added the ram and upgraded the OS.

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Dantooine == grass, which makes the game quite slowon that level. On ANY G4, regardless of RAM, processor, or video card.

14. Cloudgazer macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

It wasn't just the grass. The players would jump or warp if you like from one side of the map to another and become completely uncontrollable.
    Weird.

15. Paranoidmarvin thread starter macrumors newbie

Paranoidmarvin

Slow and out dated perhaps, but at least I don't have overheating problems, expanding batteries and emulation to deal with.
    IMHO, the Powerbook G4 is the best machine ever made by Apple, and I still feel it is a fast machine, despite the age of the G4

16. Paranoidmarvin thread starter macrumors newbie

Paranoidmarvin

I tried running it in Panther and the game ran fine. It seems to be a Tiger problem.
    Is this game UB yet? If not I should imagine that it would run slower on the new Intel Macs

17. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Funny, most MBP and MB owners don't either.

Oh, and another thing: the iBook G4 I had was the hottest laptop I ever owned (in terms of temperature). My MacBook never reaches the temp the iBook did.

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yes, this was a problem in the beta as well. But it only happens when a player leaves the jedi compund area and enters the savanahs. The grass..

If I remember correctly, reducing the graphical levels helps, as well as making sure you had the latest patches.

19. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

This is a software problem in the Sandral Grounds level (one after Conclave Countryyard). When looking in the direction of the Sandral Estate, game slows down to low single-digit framerates even on my iMac.

Overally this game is choppy on my iMac (I have the lates patch), slows down to lower 'neens when in combat, but definately runs better than on my previous Mac - eMac 700 MHz :D :cool:

20. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

The other place there is a problem (if I remember correctly) is in Kashyykk. The ground fog slowed down the FPS quite a bit. Nothing is as bad as Dantooine, though.

21. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I made a thread about this earlier....

My PowerBook is slower than yours but fairly similar - 1.33 GHz 15". 1.25GB RAM, Radeon 9700 64MB.

I played through the whole game, and the worst level by far was Dantooine - the framerates were a slideshow, and the characters would jump halfway across the level when I tried to move. All the other planets were pretty good except the planet in the Star Forge System towards the end of the game - parts of it got slow like Dantooine.

Overall the PowerBook ran it fairly well but those two slow spots are very annoying. It seems to really tax the GPU more than anything - I run KOTOR on my Power Mac G4 (see sig for specs) and it runs the game with most of the settings turned up at good framerates - although Dantooine is still a tad choppier, though a lot more playable. Since the CPU isn't much faster (and the FSB is a little slower), I assume that the GeForce 6800GT is smoothing out the wrinkles in the slow parts.

So I'm afraid you're just going to have to tough it out on those slow bits to get to the other worlds - KOTOR is a great game.

22. Paranoidmarvin thread starter macrumors newbie

Paranoidmarvin

Have you tried running it in Panther? I have found that it runs fine under 10.3 whereas it wouldn't in Tiger. It could be an OpenGl problem.

23. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

b/c your video card sucks man

24. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I ran it in Panther (10.3.9) on my Power Mac before I upgraded - performance was essentially the same for me as it is under Tiger. My PowerBook has always had Tiger.

What hardware are you running it on?

I've read on several forums that Dantooine and part of the Star Forge planet have always had bad performance on the Mac port of KOTOR.

25. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

The Dantooine problem is fixed by editing the swkotor.ini like I said above

What, compared to the one in your 17" PB? They're exactly the same unless you have 128MB VRAM which isn't going to make much of a difference anyway.