KoTOR stability issues

Discussion in 'Games' started by Lord Blackadder, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I'm always on the trailing edge with games, and I've just bought Knights of the Old Republic. Great game. But...

I started playing it on my 15" 1.33GHz PowerBook (Radeon 9700 64MB/1.25GB RAM), but then switched to my 1.4GHz PowerMac G4 (see sig). Waaaaay better performance with the GeForce 6800GT with all the detail on and 4x FSAA. But the game is unstable, quitting unexpectedly. Sometimes it does it when I try to load a game, other times after I've played for a half hour. It also caused one kernel panic. I installed KoTOR on the PowerBook originally but wanted to continue my game so I copied the saved games folder from the laptop to the tower - and I'm wondering if that is a problem. The tower is otherwise totally crash free, and I've installed all the latest updates for OSX 10.3.9. The PowerBook was running Tiger...but I haven't figured out why the game keeps crashing on the tower.

Any thoughts?

2. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Update:

I've checked out everything within my knowledge but I still don't see any why KotOR doesn't like my PowerMac...I don't think it's a video card problem since I'm not seeing any artifacts. The game thinks my OWC 1.4GHz G4 upgrade card is running at 0MHz, since it gives me a warning before I play stating that my computer is running under 500MHz, but that shouldn't cause a problem since the CPU seems to be functioning normally. Operating temps on the CPU, GPU and HDs are a little above average due to the national heat wave but still well within normal limits.

So I'm stumped....a couple kernel panics and many crashes all from using KotOR...last night I had a KP. I hit the reset button and the machine booted into open firmware instead of going to OSX. When I typed "mac-boot" as instructed it hung on the gray screen for an hour so I reset, and it booted normally.

I've checked all my other apps and everything seems normal so I think it's a KotOR issue. Anyway I've been meaning to upgrade to Tiger for awhile so this seems to be a good moment...maybe it will solve my problem. I'm off to do some backup...

Final Update:

It doesn't seem like this is the hottest topic, but I figure I'd continue this to the end: it was the GPU after all...I don't know why I wasn't getting an alert before, but while experimenting this morning Temperature Monitor reported after another crash that the GPU had exceeded 86C...so I'm off to Microcenter to get a PCI slot cooler.

Keep an eye on those temps during the heatwave, people!