KOTOR -

Discussion in 'Games' started by mattroberts, Sep 24, 2004.

1. mattroberts macrumors regular

mattroberts

Has anyone got this running on their PB ? And if so the inevitable question: how does it run ? My freind had this on his PC and it looked like alot of fun wondering if my rig is capable?

cheers
    m

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Tell us about your graphics card. That will go a long way towards making this game playable on your laptop.

3. mattroberts thread starter macrumors regular

mattroberts

its in my sig. I've got a PB 12in Rev B so i have a Nvidia Geforce 5200 with 32 Mbs of ram.

But discussing Video cards only in this case makes no sense. the G4 in my machine is not the same in the old G4 towers nor in the Emac. So I'm looking for people who have actually played the game on a similar PB.

cheers
    m

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

We're not intending to discuss videocards only, since I had the rest of your info, and I don't feel like looking up your specs. However, the bulk of how the game will look and play falls on your graphics card. Your laptop comes in at the bottom end of the specs, so I expect it to run quite slowly at the lowest settings. And since it JUST started shipping, I expect it to be a little while before people can report on how well it plays on a 12" PB.

5. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Ditto, it probably will barely run on the lowest detail settings/resolution.

6. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

From what I have heard...How well you run Halo is the closest measure to how you will run KOTOR.

Speaking of it, What's the big deal about this game?

I have a copy of my friend's for the XBOX (NO, it is not illegal, he brought it over and forgot to take it back :D ), and I played it once and not for long either..Seemed boring. But anyway, everything is better on the Mac, so maybe I might give this game a chance and check it.

7. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I am so looking forward to this game. I have been holding off for it to ship to pick up my processor upgrade for my G4. Now I am going to have to get it so I can play this game :D (I need it for other things as well ;) ) I am so pumped.

8. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Except for:

1) The Original UT
    2) Halo
    3) Soldier of Fortune II (sucks either way really)
    4) Any and every Macsoft/Westlake port
    5) Windows Media Player (it's true...)
    6) IRC (no matter what you try to argue, mIRC is best client, hands down)
    7) AIM (3 years....still no voice chat...)
    8) UT2K4(and 3): No dev tools? Common...
    And there are more...but I can't think of them off hand...

Anyway, not 'everything' is 'better on the Mac'. Don't be silly.

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I've still not encountered a place where Halo is good. Except when it was called Half-Life.

10. crachoar macrumors 6502a

It's called 'Xbox'.

Oh, I'm sorry. You must be thinking of 'Doom 3'. Which is the exact same scenario as Half-Life, only you're a marine instead of Gordon.

11. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

First off, I was just talking about games.
    Halo is great on the Mac, so I don't know what you are talking about. Then you mention Windows Media Player and AIM...Yeah, I am not talking about counterparts of a program for another OS. Of course WMP and AIM are no good for the Mac, because there is Quicktime and iChat. I wasn't refering to apps, I was refering to games. And actually, I take back my statement, as it was not exactly what I was trying to say. I was trying to say that everything is better on a Mac, as in, it just feels cool. I played KOTOR on the XBOX and it didn't excite me so much, but maybe playing it on my Mac will do it some justice. It's sad that you took so much time compiling a list for something I wasn't even talking about. You are the silly one, silly billy.

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It's a fun game. I don't see playing it more then twice though.. once to be good, once to be evil.

13. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Oh?

OMG! I BEEN PWNED! ROFL!!!!!!

I can see that by 'everything' you meant 'just games'. You're right, I'm the idiot.

Trying to make any sense of your posts makes my head hurt...

Things like this:

Why? How?

14. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

15. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Maybe because the game would be more intuitive. For instance, I really have know idea how to play first person shooters on consoles. Well it was easier when everything was one level so you only had to aim horizontally, but still.

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Thanks. I like my PS2.

Nooo.. definitely thinking of Halo-life. While playing Halo, I just didn't understand what all the hype that I'd heard for years was all about. I can drive a vehicle. Wow. Wonderful backgrounds and maps. Sure. Too bad I was too busy killing things to care. And then.. then it turns into Half-Life. Up until that point, I was happy. Hey it's a slightly new take on the same old FPS. Then, infection. Half-life. Yawn. $50 blown on a game I'll never play again. Well, it won't be the first. SOCOM, I'm looking in your direction. Maybe Halo 2 won't be so boring.

17. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Well, I tried KOTOR a long time ago, and I just couldn't get into it. I started playing Fable, and love it... but some people still stay KOTOR is more fun... so maybe I'll give it another shot (on Xbox, not mac).

About Halo, I just found it very repetitive after awhile, and the multiplayer a bit dull. UT2K4 is a million times more fun to me... but I'll be getting Halo 2 regardless.

18. a2daj macrumors member

Mac Halo allows for FSAA.

Do you mean any game by MacSoft or Westlake or ones that Westlake did for MacSoft?

Total Annihilation was great from what I hear. Age of Mythology has been fine. Max Payne was good. The original Unreal was solid except for the Glide beheading bug but that was easily fixed in the next patch. Then it reached patch hell, which I blame on Epic. Centipede was the best version out there.

19. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

How could you fine Halo boring? One of the most heart-punding video games ever.

Macsoft and Westlake have fine ports. Before a certain patch or update, AoE II was a pain to install but ran fine and that's fixed now. Age of Mythology runs fine too. Halo is a diffent story of course.....

20. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Heh. Rollercoasters are heart-pounding. Halo was mind-numbing. :)

21. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

22. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

Well its a good thing that this thread got hijacked. As for what it was about, KOTOR is a freakin' awsome game. I have beat twice and I am going through it again before KOTOR 2 comes out. I would highly recommend it to anyone that has even a remote interest in Star Wars or RPG's. The story is one of the best in any game in years.

And as far as the thread hijackers, Halo is in no way a half-life clone. Besides Half-life wasn't even that original. It took most of it's ideas form many other smaller games and just mushed them together. Of course Halo doesn't have the greatest story ever, but thats not what makes it great. It's the "invite a friend over for an hour or 2 to play co-op, or have your buddies bring thers over for massive mayhem" that makes it great. Lots of replayability, and you don't ave to haul over a freakin' desktop.

23. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

24. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

My copy of KOTOR hasn't arrived yet, it's estimated to be a week away :(

25. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Well it sounds like a good game but some of you are saying it's boring. i'm a fan of Star Wars so would I like it or not?