Kraft, Harris Bank hit for Gay Games support

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by emw, Jun 6, 2005.

1. emw macrumors G4

emw

Link. (may require registration)

I hope Kraft and Harris don't cave on this. Sounds from releases from Kraft, at least, that they're in it for the long haul:

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

What an attitude:

"We condemn you because you refuse to hate the people that we hate."

The same approach was taken some years ago against Disney when Disney insisted on giving the same benefits to employees regardless what gender their partner was.

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I didn't know athletic competition was dangerous and unhealthy. Or is it only when gay folks do it that it's dangerous and unhealthy?

I guess the image of women that have sex together ("cool! can I watch?") doesn't get the holy rollers in such a fury as much as two men ("faggots make me sick!").

Anyway, that's a weird thing to be thinking about as you eat your cheesy noodles. I think the guy's a perv.

4. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

More dangerous than eating Oreos, Tang, and Jell-O? :p

5. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

More wonderful content from the Illinois Family Institute on homosexuals:

Apparently it's not only okay to openly hate and to perpetrate crimes on homosexuals, but it's our religious duty to do so.

The note goes on to say:

Religion is changeable too, but I don't see them opposing that part of the law.

Link.

6. Zaid macrumors 6502

referencing the quote in emw's post above:

Ok what is this homosexual agenda? As a card carying homosexual, why was i not informed? Was there a memo or something? *checks to make sure i'm on the mailing list*

but seriously guys what are these protect the family from the godless heathens society people (or some such rubbish) smoking, and more importantly why are they not sharing?

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Clearly, they are smoking the bible. One page at a time. Dude! Don't bogart the Psalms!

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

is it my imagination, or is it always the groups with "Family" in their name are the most hateful?

9. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

That's because in their minds "Family" has such a restricted meaning.

I still can't get over the whole "sexual orientation is a behavior that is changeable" comment. That really steams me. I've heard bigotry is a behavior that is changeable too...

10. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

That's always my favorite part. Drinking, smoking, gambling and a host of other activities are changeable behaviors, which are much more harmful, but I don't see them campaigning to make it illegal for people to get married in Vegas... or that alcoholics, or smokers, or compulsive gamblers can't get married... never made much sense to me.

Just to be clear I don't believe it is a choice or changeable.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

As someone who grew up the cornfields of Ohio, I can tell you it's not a choice at all. I have an "ex-gay" friend from my college days. While he doesn't yet claim to be "cured", he says he'll never sleep with another guy again. He's also the most socially awkward, sad and miserable person I've ever known.

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

As someone who grew up on the plains of MT, I can tell you that small town America is a pretty miserable place to be gay. While he may never sleep with a guy again, that doesn't mean that he isn't gay anymore. Also, the continual feed of anti-gay propaganda can be pretty difficult to overcome, misery is a very likely companion to those who can't. Social awkwardness is more than likely related to his upbringing.

The news has been filled with a lot of happy gay couples the last few years, in Massachusetts and SF, but the heartland is filled with those who are still oppressed by local mores. It's really sad that so many people have to live their lives in fear of being ostracized by family and friends.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes- and it's terrible. I had to break ties with him because he just became too toxic and was trying to convert me too. I told him he could call me when his mind opened up a bit more. That was 7 years ago- no phone call. He was living with his parents at the time.

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I just found out (from a 3rd party, possibly dubious source) that a friend from college came out of the closet (apparently). His parents must have hit the ROOF (assuming he told them). They are the self-admited Cleaver family, and now precious little Morgan.. I wish I could have seen the look on his Dad's face.

Oh, umm.. moral of the story, I've long since learned that you never can tell when the truth will rear it's head. Morgan and I competed with each other over many a lady in out college years.