Kramer's "victims" want an apology...and money

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Washington Post

Oh, puh-leeze! The poor babies were humiliated? Well maybe now they know how comics feel on stage when they're embarrassed by hecklers.

I'm not excusing the racism in Michael Richards' outburst, but it seems like these guys had more than a little part in instigating the situation.

And now they want money?

2. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

The targets of Kramer's tirade speak out on Today with Matt Lauer on YouTube.

My impressions:

1) They downplayed their involvement.
    2) Their lawyer is an opportunistic, money-grubbing *****.

Asking for and winning monetary damages is a slippery slope towards abuse of the system by nare-do-wells.

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

A personal apology is fine, and I think Richards said he would do it...but money? Come on

4. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

well maybe money back for the tickets they paid to go see him, then again EVERYONE that was there that night should be entitled to a refund after having seen that.

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

What Richards did was inexcusable.

But for these guys to demand an apology and, worse, MONEY for what he did is even MORE inexcusable. Unless they were actually identifiable on the tape (which I don't believe they are) or unless Richards actually said their names (e.g., "Frank McBride is a stupid so-and-so"), then they don't have a leg to stand on.

I agree it would be a nice gesture for Richards and/or the club to refund everyone's money for that performance, but anything beyond that is simply asinine.

Oh, and Gloria Allred should be sanctioned for being an idiot lawyer. It's people like her who help make EVERYTHING in the US more expensive due to frivolous lawsuits.

6. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I agree, on the ticket refunds. I think a simple apology that he already gave was enough. I would like to hear from other people in the audience and get their side of things because the whole situation makes no sense to me.

7. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yeah...and you might say exactly the same thing about hecklers like these two gigolos vis-a-vis Richards.

Give 'em their ticket money back and kick 'em down the stairs.

8. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

When the two "victims" were giving an interview on the Today show last week..

one said, though I quote loosely:

"There need to be limits on the first amendment free speech..."

i turned off the TV.

their lawyers musta said something before the interview, and they had no idea what they just said.

thats a Bush-ism.

limits to Free Speech, puh-leeze.

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Without free speech & a free press this country is sunk. These guys were rude to Kramer & his performance and he was calling them out for it. Yeah he went to far but sticks n stones will brakes my bones but names can never hurt me unless your employing a ambulance chaser like Allred.

10. iGary Guest

iGary

I want $50 bucks for every time someone's called me a ******.

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Party at iGary's mansion!

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I want $50 for each Cracker,Honkey or Whitey. Our family came over way after the slavery issue but I guess we are all still held responsible for something we had nothing to do with? Free speech works two directions,not just one.

13. iGary Guest

iGary

:D

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It's their 15 minutes of fame. TV Movie and book deal to follow.

15. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

You are dead nuts on, spicyapple. There are few things I find more repulsive than watching these 'victims, and their attorneys, trying to portray themselves as martyrs for the common good, when they are just looking for an opportunity to get something for nothing. It is completely out of hand.

I often wonder how much of this would go away if the victim's attorneys had to personally pay court costs when they lose. As it stands right now, they get a clean walk and the public often absorbs the cost.

16. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

I agree. There's no such thing as a black racist. Only white people can.

17. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

"Movie and book deal" reminds me of a sort of similarity to the O.J. thing. It used to be enough that you could be an a****** and you got your 15 minutes of fame. Now apparently you expect to get paid for it as well.

18. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Appology? Yes, twice. Money? For what, gas money for the trips to all the tv appearences?

Perhaps they should request for him to donate to an appropriate charity in the names of the two "victims".

I think Kramer needs to disappear for a year or so...

19. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

You may be speaking of a different part, but I heard remedies.

20. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

John Kerry offended a lot of troops in the past, can they sue him? :rolleyes:

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well, first of all, he called Bush stupid, not the troops, but now that we've gotten that out of the way...

I agree with everyone else here. I would have taken their side before, but not anymore. Everybody wants something for nothing nowadays, and I hope they get laughed out of court for it. Sure, what he said was wrong. Of course it was. No one is arguing that. But they deserve nothing for their troubles beyond an apology. I wouldn't even give them their tickets back since they instigated it. They should also apologize to him, but I wouldn't expect that either.

I've just lost even more respect for Allread and her wolf crying. There are real hate crimes going on out there, and she should go back to defending free speech (even the kind that makes people mad) instead of attacking it. Trying to turn this into something more than it is for money and publicity just makes it harder to tell when it's really happening.

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

No, but Bush will make so much from people who called him stupid that he can stop peddling influence to Cheney's buddies.