krispy kreme??

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Jul 18, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

what really is the big deal about these donuts?

it is as if there is some cult following surrounding this product...i understand people being crazy over macs, or mazda miatas, or harley bikes...but why these donuts?

2. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    that's what i was wondering for the longest time, then they got a new plant in the next town over and every store started carrying them... you can even buy krispy kreme donuts at target! so i had to have some and they just taste really good. i don't know why people get so crazy over them like you said, it's like some cult or something, but they do taste yummy.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

the dough has vanilla in it. secret ingredient. makes them taste far better than other donuts.

KK are the devil, plain and simple. If i weren't so damn good at ignoring the store here, i'd weight 900 lbs...

pnw

4. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

You need to go to a Krispy Kreme store where they make the donuts in the store. You stand in line watching the whole process of making them, then you get a fresh donut and it literally melts in you mouth. I don't know anyone who can eat more than 6 of them without feeling sick afterwards, they must expand in your stomach.

If you have only eaten them in a place that does not produce them, or if you never had a hot fresh donut, then it is understandable that one would not understand the cult status that they have generated.

It is also good marketing.

5. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

oh, is that the secret?

i had krispey kreme in a 7-11 and they tasted pretty much like any other donut

they were smaller and somewhat softer than average maybe...but the taste was nothing out of this world

6. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

for real, you do need to have one hot off the press. an original one, not some fancy-pants chocolate and raspberry abomination. it's like the sugar and the dough just melt on your tongue... i can eat about two before it all goes to my head and i get dizzy. they're super-rich.

and now that they're more common, i can see why people are wondering about their cult status. a few years back, before they started to expand, they were hard to get if you didn't live in the south. they had sort of a mythical element to them... these hard-to-find donuts that were utterly perfect for about 15 minutes after coming off the conveyor belts. so if you had a fresh krispy kreme, you knew you were having something just a little special.

7. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah you haven't had one unless they are fresh, and where as they are 1000x then dunkin donuts, and not fresh they are 100x better. :p

They kick.

8. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i tried their krullers and man are they awesome. i've had krullers before and i've liked them but every kind i've had have been too sweet, but krispy kremes krullers were just right, now i crave them... too bad i'm on this diet (although my will is weak, sometimes one might slip by my defenses and into my stomach)

9. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

they're pretty dang tasty.

and rumor has it, they're good for you

10. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

wathcing them being prepared is awesome...you'd have to be at dunkin donuts at 5am to see that and get really hot donuts...but at krispy kreme they do it for like 24hrs a day...The donuts are just like pure goodness

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The first one that opened here in the Boston area received a lot of hype. The story made it on the local evening news broadcast. People waited in line all the to be the first to enter the story. The winner and first into the store got free Krispy Kreme donuts for a year. Can't think of anything that I would wait in line all night for!

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

@Jelloshotsrule: I want your sources. ;)

And they just opened up their first KK store in Canada not too long ago. I must admit, watching them make the donuts is genius. They also give you free samples while you're in line. The donuts really ARE amazing, especially when you get them warm. It literally melts in your mouth.

I have a huge appetite, and can probably eat a dozen KK donuts quite easily. Whether I get sick before eating 1 dozen.....well.....that's another issue. :cool:

13. medea macrumors 68030

medea

well if I were to eat a doughnut I would prefer a Krispy Kreme over say a Dunkin Doughnut,
    oh and a KK glazed doughnut has less fat in it than one of those McDonalds yogurt parafait things.....now that doesn't mean that doughnuts are good for you, just don't be fooled into think that McDonalds yogurt is healthy.

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

What's good about Krispy Kremes?

1. Seeing the donuts made on a conveyer belt in front of your eyes. If you think factory tours are fun (like I do), you get a similar experience while waiting in line for your donuts.

2. Hype. It's fun to participate in something everyone's talking about.

3. Some of 'em taste good. I don't really like their main glazed ones. I'd rather have a sprinkled cake donut from Winchell's. But I think the K.K. devil food chocolate ones are wonderful.

15. MacManDan macrumors 6502

I remember that. It was all over the news for a week. You'd see everyone saying how good that donut was compared to Dunkin Donuts (that's all we had up there, for the most part .. walk a block and a half and there's another one standing there) .. but honestly, I don't think they're that good unless they're fresh-off-the-press. I have one here in the city I'm in for the summer, but I've never been really thrilled by the taste.

Although the texture is neat, when it's still warm and stuff .. and watching them prepare hundreds of fresh donuts right in front of your eyes is also very neat .. but I've heard it costs over $1 million to open a franchise!! eek! :eek:

16. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

If my family weren't a whole bunch of frikin' hippies that refuse to eat anything inorganic, I would eat KK every day.

They are soooooooooooooo good....

But only when they are still warm. Once they get cold they are gross. They don't have the same melt in your mouth effect.

When I ate one for the first time at a party - it was about 2 hours old and so it tasted like any other donut. So I immediately dismissed KK as being stupid, and a big letdown. But then my friend took me to one of their stores and they will give them to you for free if you do certain things - and one thing you can do is tell them you've never had a hot KK. Well, I got like 6 for free by the time we left. I try to get whoever I'm with to take me there when I'm in the are now.

Ahhhhhhhhh this is such a great thread, but it should be deleted because it makes me huuuuuuuuungry. But all there is to eat in my house is ****ing Zuchini, Kus Kus, and Carrots - all of which are organically grown (no doubt) and are home grown in Austin by either ourselves or at Boggy Creek Farm :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

GIVE ME SOME ****ING DONUTS!

scem0

17. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Used to eat hot Krispy Kreme's in Atlanta at 2 am after a night at the Claremont Lounge. Fat strippers, cheap beer, and sweet, sweet donuts... ahh, the memories.

18. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

i heard somewhere that they are soy based, but htat could be a rumor as well.

they are best when they are fresh, but you can revive one thats been cold for less than a day by tossing it in the microwave for 30 sec or so ;)

19. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    oh how i love the KK donuts...nothing else compares.

and the hats go great with my bling bling.;)

20. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Re: krispy kreme??

I dislike their donuts but maybe thats just me.
    :eek:

21. zulgand04 macrumors regular

zulgand04

im my opinin they are so much better, then the main competitor her in ct Dunkin Dounuts. They are lighter but alot more sweet. Also after a while you kind of get sickj of them like i have. just my blurb.

-Neal

22. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

what really is the big deal about these donuts?
    Nothing at all. They're little rings of lard wrapped in a thick glaze of liquid sugar, and is one reason why the average American family pushes 1.2 tons. Oh, and remember, we bought (and fought for) those worthless beenie babies. I rest my case.

23. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I didn't understand how these could possibly be as good as people said... until I had one. best. donut. ever.

24. daytona63 macrumors member

I LOVE Krispee Kreme

I grew up eating them in VA, but then my family moved to CO, so we didn't have them for about 7-8 years. When KK went public, they built one near my parents' house (I no longer live in CO). What a godsend! Hot and fresh, there really is nothing better doughnut/pastry/etc-wise. Fortunately there's an old KK here where I live now. All I tell people who are skeptical is to simply try one, and then they'll understand.

25. BigJayhawk macrumors regular

Apple of the Doughnut World . . .

It's all in the USER INTERFACE -- right?

This is making me HUNGRY!