krugman: Gold-Plated Indifference

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jan 21, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002

2. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

Dec 30, 2002
    Chicago, IL, USA
    i guess i'll withhold comment until bush actually gives the state of the union address. health care is almost as screwed up as iraq; the last person on earth i would trust to fix it is george w. bush.
  3. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    Hey, how's that switchgrass thing coming from last year?

Yeah, that's what I thought...

But hey, if Bush wants his poll numbers to go even lower, charge on. We all saw how well the issue of privatizing Social Security did for his numbers. With this initiative, he could reach Most Unpopular of All Time in a hurry.

Does he not realize that after Iraq, health care is one of the biggest issues of concern to Americans?

And seriously, is there any time a conservative would think tax cuts AREN'T the solution?
  4. it5five macrumors 65816

May 31, 2006
    New York
    I hope the Dems in Congress do everything in their power to block this ridiculous idea.
  5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    I just read about Bush's "health plan" in yesterday's paper, and my mouth dropped open. It's just so stunningly stupid. Even for Bush.

Raising taxes on mostly middle class people who have "too much" health insurance? That's a non-starter. Excuse me, no...that's a NON-STARTER. I just can't imagine what was going through his head (or his advisors') to think that anyone would go along with that.

And I've got to agree that a little tax break will do nothing to make health insurance more affordable for the poor and uninsured.

This is even more futile than Bush's Social Security "reform" campaign, and will go into the toilet even faster.

I can already see it:

Bush flogs this plan for a year.
    Democrats and the public criticize it.
    Bush finally says, "Well if you don't like my health plan, show me yours."
    Democrats craft a better plan.
    Bush vetoes it.
  6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

Jul 23, 2002
    Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
    I think we've discussed this before. The thread was about Bush having a go at private, employer-based healthcare.

I stated there that Bush's plan, which helps large industry and small business more than anyone else, is to destroy the current system of employer-based healthcare and replace with individual accounts.

He will attempt to push legislation that provides an easy out for employers to transition their employees off the insurance rolls.

Then, it's every man for himself. Just like with auto insurance, those of us who are deemed high risk – using secret industry algorithms – through no fault of our own will be uninsurable or only insurable via prohibitively expensive premiums.

This is their dream fix for healthcare.

Because to them, the healthcare problem isn't about the looming public humanitarian crisis. To them, it's about freeing private business from the burden of being concerned with our health.