krugman: This Isn't America

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Mar 30, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. wwworry macrumors regular

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The John Dean quotes really made me sit up and take notice. I saw a reference to him in Robert Scheer's op-ed piece in the LA Times today:

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-scheer30mar30,1,2018109.column
    Dean has little credibility as a "Washington insider" and I suspect very few GOP party regulars take his calls anymore, but I was reminded of the period about a 18 months ago when George Schultze and Lawrence Eagleburger were making the news program circuit criticizing the administration's foreign policies. These old-line diplomatic pragmatists of Dubya's father's generation were quickly silenced (I'd love to see one of those memos!), but it's apparent that an ideological rift has opened up within the party that can't be mended by an authoritarian White House exerting its muscle.

4. beefcake macrumors 6502

The Republican party is really quite wily, they know that the average American has a limited attention span, and if a multitude of information is presented all at once, including international issues and personal scandal, guess what most people will remember? I think Bush getting reelected is nothing short of a crime against Democracy. I don't care what hardline Republicans have to say about John Kerry's personality, or Clarke's bank account, the current administration lies to its own people and starts wars based on those lies. Criminal.