Kudo's to Apple's techs!!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by G4scott, Oct 27, 2002.

1. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I just got my iBook back from CompUSA, and I'm happy!

I had to take it in because the CD drive died on me. Because of my CompUSA protection plan, they were able to send it off to Apple. When it came back, I found that they replaced my CD drive with a newer, better model, sent me a new power supply (since one of the cable winder latches fell off, and the charge light wasn't working properly), cleaned my screen (it had keyboard marks all over it), and replaced the worn out rubber feet on the bottom of my iBook (one was missing when I sent it off).

They did all of this, and all that I asked to be fixed was the CD drive. If there's any way to rate tech support, I give Apple a 5 star rating!

2. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

Excellent! very good to hear. just curious, how long did it take them to repair it?

3. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

heh, that's a whole other story...

I requested service on October 6th, they got it shipped off, and the repair was done on the 12th, and I didn't get it back until the 27th. The long wait was due to CompUSA. When I went today, I asked for it, and they said that they didn't have it, then another guy who knows me came out with it, and gave it to me. He said that the other people were sales people, and didn't know much about repairs...

4. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

I've had never had a good experience with AppleCare and their warrenties. I think their warrenties are completly worthless and I'll be darned if I'm ever gonna pay money for their 3 year warrenty service. At least someone had a good experience but given time I'm sure you'll see their darkside.

5. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

Well, this warranty is from CompUSA.

I have had to go through the trouble of getting an old iBook fixed that was out of warranty. It cost well over $200 to get the CD drive replaced. I don't see computer breakdown's as an if, but as a when, especially with laptops.

6. Computer_Phreak macrumors 6502

wow thats fortunate...

do you have to pay extra at CompUSA for a warranty past the standard 1 yr?

7. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

I've got a 3 year protection plan, and as far as I'm concerned, it's payed off half of itself already...

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Glad to hear of you expereince. What was the cost of the protection plan? Thank you! :)

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I always say no thanks to extended warranties. My logic is as follows: Stores make an effort to encourage you to buy extended warranties. Therefore, they must be a source of higher than average profit by the store. Therefore, the average cost of the extended warranty exceeds the average cost of repairs actually performed under those warranties. The prices they charge are related to their costs. Therefore, over a long period of time, I'm better off paying for repairs as I go.

On the other hand, my theory could be wrong if stores make money from extended warranties mostly because people who are eligible for service often don't remember or bother to bring their equipment in. In that case, those who would actually get the service, should they need it, might be statistically better off with extended warranties than paying out-of-warranty repair costs.

Bottom line: Extended warranties, like insurance, are a form of gambling (you bet that you'll need help; they bet that you won't). I try to play the odds.

10. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

I don't see any "dark-side." Maybe you can explain some of your own experiences to us?

I've got AppleCare and I love it. It paid for a brand new replacement drive when the original failed ($280 parts/labor). It also pays for all the little calls I make to tech support. I could get help in other ways, but those calls save me LOTS of time. I just started working at an independant Apple repair shop, and they told me that getting AppleCare is "very smart."

11. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

actually, i can't imagine why you wouldn't buy an applecare plan.

i had a dual processor G4 500, that was 2 years old. it was the very first dual processor...before the superdrive was even invented. well, it died, and Apple sent me a brand new mirrored drive Dual 1 Gig WITH a superdrive.

That's one mighty nice free replacement.

12. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Wow... I've never heard of such a thing.

Anyone here know how to make my computer die? I've been looking to upgrade... ;)