Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
My iMac has shipped (thanks Apple tracking widget!), but it's being delivered courtesy of "Kuhne & Nagel", call me British, call me an islander but if I hear that name I can't help but think "my iMac is a loooong way off". I've never dealt with them in the past but I just get a feeling...

How long do these guys take? I'd love to plan my week in advance. It's currently saying the delivery date to be the 4th of October "May vary" or something.

Anyone?

Molnies

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2006
Sweden
They delivered my MacBook to me this summer, from Shanghai to Arnhem, NL and then to Sweden where I live. I recived it 1 day before ETA (I think it a total of 2 weeks from ordering to reciving).
I don't think you have to worry, but I mean I've just had them deliver it one time so I might have been just lucky. However I've had TNT deliver items from Apple Store twice, both times they lied and said they had tried to deliver it but that I wasn't home - and in the end it took them 4 days longer then ETA and during those 4 days the package was within a few miles from my house. So if I were to choose I would choose anything but TNT for the next delivery.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
All the macs i have bought before (3) have all shipped via K&N to Holland and then TNT take it over from there. I dont have the tracking widget (or a mac) at this point but you can keep track of K&N's progress here http://www.apecode.com/appletrack/.

Iirc it took about 1.5 weeks average to get the macs. Once TNT have it, it will take about 2-3 days before you get it at your door.

I live in Sheffield

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
The mystery deepens

It's saying my iMac and iPod are currently in Cork, though they have been shipped by K&N. "booking slot obtained" in Cork. Wonder what that means? I wish Apple could be a little clearer on deliveries so I know when to be in. ho hum!

riciad

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
Ireland
My Macs and some of the other stuff I've ordered from Apple have always arrived by TNT and all of them have been delivered earlier than expected. It's the same driver every time too which is great as first time drivers always end up getting lost trying to find our house. (Rural location, no street names or house names and lots of people with the same surname.)

Will I nip down to Cork and tell them to hurry up else?

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
raggedjimmi said:
The mystery deepens

It's saying my iMac and iPod are currently in Cork, though they have been shipped by K&N. "booking slot obtained" in Cork. Wonder what that means? I wish Apple could be a little clearer on deliveries so I know when to be in. ho hum!

Apple took some 'interesting' steps a few years back in the way they handle inventory in the Cork plant. Once they moved the PCB (printed circuit board) manufacturing to the Pacific Rim, they had a lot of empty space in the building. So one of the things they did was setup partitioned areas within the plant to be occupied by other companies (suppliers/shippers). So parts are in the Apple plant, but aren't in Apple's inventory until they're pushed through to the Apple area, then the second they're finished they're pushed out the door to the next partition and out of Apple's hands - a good way at keeping stock turnover nice and quick and stock inventory low. Because Apple is such a big supplier, they could push their suppliers into agreeing to this.

So, chances are your items are sitting somewhere inside the Apple plant in Hollyhill, but "Shipped".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.