Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
I am very intrigued by this SE2 Plus... are there any other rumours about it? As in, is it likely to have an LCD display?

WirelessMess

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2021
I think completely wireless phones are too advanced for the wireless charging tech we currently have now. Wireless charging is so inefficient compared to wired, and the heat wireless charging creates is bad for the battery. Apple already has issues with their battery life on phones, I think wireless charging everyday for the entire life of the phone will make existing issues worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: George Dawes

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
not to mention transferring 60GB 60fps4K video over wifi is painful slow (not much worse than the horrible USB 2.0 lighting connection though…)

iPhone connectivity sucks

Reactions: iganiats

PJnuckingfuts

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2015
Southwick, MA, USA
This article was a joke. The 13 Pro Max not having a port?? Idiot. EVERY IPHONE 13 WILL HAVE A LIGHTNING PORT!

Why, you may be asking? Because Apple just released hi-res music and specifically says in their white paper, “If you want to play Hi-Res Lossless Apple Music at higher than 24/48 with our (crappy) dongle, you’ll need to connect your iPhone/iPad/iPod to an EXTERNAL DAC.”

Now tell me, how can you do that without a port, without the Apple Lightning to USB CCK, or USB3 CCK (which sounds better, btw), and then connecting the USB to your external DAC? You can’t!

There are no wireless codecs that support 24/192, not even Sony’s LDAC which transmits wirelessly at around 950kbps. And Apple only uses their own outdated and horrible AAC codec for wireless (256kbps), barely sounding better than the worst Bluetooth codec SBC. No aptX, aptX LL, aptX-HD, etc. Until the day comes that Apple creates their own 24/192 wireless codec that also supports Dolby Atmos (speakers)/Spatial Audio (headphones), there will ALWAYS be a port. And why oh why, even with tvOS 15.0 beta 2, can you still only output up to 24/48 over HDMI with the newest AppleTV 4K? Surely they’ve known for over a year they were planning and upgrading all 70+ million songs to their original masters, which must be created by one of a bunch of companies approved by Apple to master an artist’s audio specifically for Apple and submitted in a minimum resolution of 24/96. The AppleTV does not need to have a DAC onboard as it has the ability to pass through the streaming data via HDMI to a receiver that has an onboard DAC, and most new ones have a DAC that can support anywhere from 24/192 or 32/384 to DSD or DXD, depending on the quality of your receiver or audio system. (Sadly they all use modern Delta-Sigma DACs instead of R2R or Sign-Magnitude ladder DACs that don’t need more than 16/44.1-24/96 to sound superb.)

It may not be a Lightning port. The iPhone 14 may indeed finally get a USB-C port like the iPad Pro (which is about time, considering the Lightning port is nothing unique anymore and untold numbers of companies make Lightning cables) and then could much more easily connect to external DACs either directly with USB-C, or with a USB-C to USB-Type B or Micro-USB cable or adapter.

(I’m not talking out of my ass, either. I have a very high resolution headphone system which includes a dual chassis balanced headphone amp I built, and the best Audeze and Sennheiser headphones, worth close to $160K.) I also have about $20K in soldering equipment, and spent 200 hours on the phone with Apple engineers back when they were on the original iPad 3. I noticed that even when it was plugged in and turned on, even if you weren’t doing anything on it, the power would drain. I confirmed it was a serious problem after going to 4 Apple stores and seeing every single iPad 3 plugged in and draining. I told them they needed to recall all the units, which they refused to do. I provided them an engineering solution to fix it but they would need customers to send in their iPads. They refused and decided to ship out 12W adapters instead of the 10W ones. I told them over and over it would make no difference if they didn’t modify the internal circuitry to accommodate it, but they refused to listen and just shipped out 12W adapters to people who requested them, and added them to iPads they hadn’t yet sold. It didn’t change a thing. I wasted 200 hours of my time talking to 14 engineers working at Apple that couldn’t tell their ass from a rathole. And what did Apple give me of pay me for my 200 hours? A big F-U. Nothing – not even a gift card, not even a cable! They did fix it for the iPad 4, which ran extremely hot when you held it as they relocated the CPU to right underneath where your right hand holds it in portrait mode. Then the heat became the issue for that iPad. Years later they were able to go back to a 10W adapter for certain iPads as battery technology had improved.

The last iPad I purchased was the 2017 10.5” iPad Pro and will likely be the last one I ever purchase because I don’t really use them. I use my iPhone all the time for 3 things: business emails, crypto/financial, and music. That’s all, and why I constantly need faster models. So I am always getting the next model upgrade. I have the 12 Pro Max 512GB, and low on storage because 512GB is not enough room to store 9,500 photos or screenshots and 300 videos (65GB), or my Tidal app self-containing it’s high res downloads at an app size of 330GB. I’ve read the rumors that there will not be a 1TB iPhone 13 Pro Max, due to chip shortages and to keep prices the same, but it’s a major mistake right after releasing Apple Music Lossless and Hi-Res Lossless to not have a 1TB option. They have had 2TB options for the iPad Pro! Why not the iPhone which people use more than any other Apple product?

Oh, and get this! I’ve NEVER…ever since my first iPhone which was a 4S, then a 5, then a 5S, then a 6 Plus, then a 6S Plus, then a 7 Plus (of which the front screen cracked after having it for several years, from the backside falling a mere 0.5” onto tile, and also had huge problems not letting me add my cards to ApplePay which the engineers couldn’t figure out because they all added just fine to my iPad Pro - I wound up using my phone through a ziploc freezer bag for 5 months and after I couldn’t take it any more…), the next iPhone I got was a long jump to an XS Pro Max/Max/Plus (whatever the F* it was called), then 11 Pro Max, and now the 12 Pro Max (always with the highest storage capacity)….NEVER EVER after a year of using my iPhone at an average of 3.5-4.5 hrs per day for business, had my battery level fall below 94%; even the 7 Plus which I had for years never dropped below 93%Until the 12 Pro Max, that is….

…I’ve had it since the release date in mid-November of last year, purchased with AppleCare+ with Theft & Loss for $300 more (on the Apple Upgrade Program) and my battery level is at 87% already; barely over 6 1/2 months. But Apple won’t fix it until it falls below 80%. And that means I get less hours of use (as advertised) during the day before charging. I usually keep it on the MagSafe charger most of the day anyway! I think all the MagSafe chargers are defective in design and is why this is happening, and not just to me. The Apple forums are full of people with the same issue. So I can wait until it falls below 80% or pay $69 now out of pocket when I already am paying $300 extra for my AppleCare+ with Theft and Loss (and I’ve never lost or had my iPhone stolen like the irresponsible teens in this day and age).

Another thing… how is the Apple Upgrade Program gonna’ work this year? Because Apple was late releasing the 12 Pro Max in mid-November last year, will we all be forced to pay the remaining 2 months for a total of 12 monthly payments before we can upgrade to the 13 Pro Max if it’s released in September? I think Apple must waive those extra two months of payments as it was their fault last year. This would be them giving us the finger if they don’t do that. We shouldn’t be forced to wait 2 months after the release date to get the new phones just because of their screw up last year! This would put our upgrade cycle on a never-ending path of having to wait 2 months after every concurrent iPhone release unless we fork up those extra two payments, and mine isn’t cheap at $69.50 per month. In fact, one of the only reasons I upgraded to the 12 Pro Max was because they left the charger and stupid EarPods out of the box, which lowered my payment by $4.32 a month. Of course I used some gift cards to buy their 20W adapter and MagSafe charger (which only has a super thin and crappy 1m cable attached to it, and requires something that only Apple would do to make it have a 15W fast charge: have the power adapter put out 9V@2.22A = 19.98W, not a universal standard like 5V@3A). I’ve read that the 11 Pro Max’s 18W adapter has very similar charging speeds though, with the only difference being a few percent less charged in 30 minutes time. But that’s only with the USB-C to Lightning cable, NOT with the MagSafe wireless charger which will only charge at 15W with a power adapter that outputs 9V@2.22A. The only three brands that I know for sure can do this are Apple, Anker, and a company on Amazon called UGREEN (who even makes a 12V car charger for only $10 that has two ports: a USB-C PD port which supports 9V@2.22A for fast charging iPhone 12 series at 15W, and any iPhone that has a maximum fast charging speed of 7.5W, and all others at 5W; and the charger has a conventional 2.4A USB-A port).

I am 42 years old. I have been using Apple’s since 1986, and Macs since 1989-90. I started on a Commodore 64. I built my own 486/50 PC later on, when my 1GB Micropolis HD cost $890, around 1994. In 1992 or ‘93 I bought an Apple Quadra 840AV, the first Mac with video output on the motherboard, which used a Motorola 68040 processor at 40MHz (and if you speak with any Apple techs or supervisors on the phone, none of them have ever known what computer that is if I ask them, which I sometimes do to make them feel stupid; doesn’t Apple teach their employees about the company’s history? Shouldn’t that be a prerequisite for hiring?) They seem to only hire the young, naive millennials or Gen Z’s that know nothing about Apple’s decline into near-bankruptcy. And now they are the wealthiest company in the world, mostly from buying out smaller companies, like they did with Siri – and Siri still sucks beyond belief! Google Assistant is better, but Alexa is by far the best (named after the library at Alexandria).

Apple recently released their quarterly report and actually said that they have finally convinced Foxconn to stop using child labor with their small hands to make small parts fit into iPhones, as if that’s suddenly a good thing!!!! Shouldn’t they have done that years ago?!? Are the nets still in place at Foxconn, which they put up after 23 laborers jumped off the roof and committed suicide?

If I didn’t rely so much on Apple, based around my profession (and I’m still using the late-2015 27” 5K retina iMac ? with all the top options), and I didn’t hate Android so much, I’d make a shift. So I have my iPhone, iPad, four AppleTV boxes (3rd Gen HD, 4th Gen HD, 4K Gen 1, and 4K Gen 2 with their new remote) and still using my 15 year old Sony 46” HD TV ($3K back then) using CCFL which has better color and motion than any other TV on the market under $2K, only lacking better contrast ratio, and 55” Sony TV that’s 11 years old with LED side-lit (not nearly as nice as the 46” which has front firing speakers). The other 2 TVs are just cheap Vizios; 32” and 40”. I’m just thoroughly tied to the Apple ecosystem because of my profession, and because I hate Android and am not too fond of Windows for PC either.

And don’t even get me started with the hundreds of bugs in iOS 15 public beta 2. I submit feedback all the time but they never listen. Everyone agrees that the biggest redesign flaw, a mixture of Chrome for iOS and an app the only a team with their heads up their asses could design and green light: the all new and building back horrible, Safari. Plus, the iOS 15 pb2 download was a 6.7GB file, like standard but what was not standard is that it unpacks itself into a 28GB iOS. From 14.7 beta 4, with 36GB storage remaining on my iPhone, iOS 15 pb2 took it down to 15GB storage left.

Speaking of bad design, this ties it all together. On AppleTV, Apple Music is fine; the album cover is on the left and the lyrics are on the right. Ever since iOS 13 I’ve been BEGGING Apple to fix this simple problem! First off, when stereo first came to iPhone you could turn it either way and the left and right channels would reverse to be on the proper side and play from the proper speaker. The past 3 or 4 generations of iPhone no longer let you do that. The left speaker (top) is designed to have lower volume than the right speaker (bottom) because it is facing you and not away from you. Ok, fine, whatever…notch side must be on the left. BUT WHY OH WHY IN THE PAST THREE YEARS won’t they fix Apple Music to show lyrics in landscape mode like on your TV screen?? If I want to listen to supposed Dolby Atmos on my iPhone’s speakers (yeah, right) or just listen in stereo without headphones, obviously I can’t hold my iPhone in portrait mode. It has to be held in landscape with the notch on the left. But the lyrics only display in portrait mode!!!! Are these morons that code for Apple on serious drugs? No one realized this in the past 3-4 years? Seriously? Not everyone wants to listen with headphones all the time (and I’m the one with pairs of $4,000 headphones)! That is, after all why you have stereo speakers on the iPhone and claim the iPhone (11 and 12 series) speakers can play in Dolby Atmos (or Spatial Audio). So to any Apple engineers reading this: STOP BEING SO DAMN LAZY AND USE SOME COMMON SENSE (which to you isn’t common at all)!!!!

So that’s that. ? Tirade and rant over.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: tiberek and seek3r

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Now tell me, how can you do that without a port, without the Apple Lightning to USB CCK, or USB3 CCK (which sounds better, btw), and then connecting the USB to your external DAC? You can’t!
Apple: screw your hires music lovers. We just remove the port so we can achieve better water resistance. Wired hires headphone. Gtfoh. AirPods Pro 2 and AirPods Max 2, all equipped with a chip that transmit hires audio via wifi. External DAC is relic and our wireless audio transmission system is the BEST in the industry.

• Disagree
Reactions: PJnuckingfuts

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
I have a very high resolution headphone system which includes a dual chassis balanced headphone amp I built, and the best Audeze and Sennheiser headphones, worth close to $160K.) I also have about $20K in soldering equipment
Case closed.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: seek3r

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
This article was a joke.

I can't believe I read your whole reply, I'm really hoping it was intended to be the joke... I'm waiting for a compile though and bored, replied to parts below.

(I’m not talking out of my ass, either. I have a very high resolution headphone system which includes a dual chassis balanced headphone amp I built, and the best Audeze and Sennheiser headphones, worth close to $160K.) I also have about $20K in soldering equipment, and spent 200 hours on the phone with Apple engineers back when they were on the original iPad 3.

"I spent a truly ridiculous amount of money on my audio gear and am angry that my consumer phone doesn't measure up to my *six figure outlay*"

I told them they needed to recall all the units, which they refused to do.

Gee, I wonder why

I confirmed it was a serious problem after going to 4 Apple stores and seeing every single iPad 3 plugged in and draining. I told them they needed to recall all the units, which they refused to do. I provided them an engineering solution to fix it but they would need customers to send in their iPads.

lol, ok

They refused and decided to ship out 12W adapters instead of the 10W ones. I told them over and over it would make no difference if they didn’t modify the internal circuitry to accommodate it, but they refused to listen

I'm sure that a random dude yelling at retail employees that circuit boards need a redesign is a great idea

and just shipped out 12W adapters to people who requested them, and added them to iPads they hadn’t yet sold. It didn’t change a thing. I wasted 200 hours of my time talking to 14 engineers working at Apple that couldn’t tell their ass from a rathole. And what did Apple give me of pay me for my 200 hours? A big F-U. Nothing – not even a gift card, not even a cable!

"Why weren't they grateful that I wasted 200 hours of Apple's employees time calling them to rant??"

The last iPad I purchased was the 2017 10.5” iPad Pro and will likely be the last one I ever purchase because I don’t really use them. I use my iPhone all the time for 3 things: business emails, crypto/financial, and music. That’s all, and why I constantly need faster models.

Why would that need constantly faster models, that's light usage unless you're literally mining crypto on your phone or iPad for some reason (if so, why??).

…I’ve had it since the release date in mid-November of last year, purchased with AppleCare+ with Theft & Loss for $300 more (on the Apple Upgrade Program) and my battery level is at 87% already; barely over 6 1/2 months. But Apple won’t fix it until it falls below 80%. And that means I get less hours of use (as advertised) during the day before charging. I usually keep it on the MagSafe charger most of the day anyway! I think all the MagSafe chargers are defective in design and is why this is happening, and not just to me. The Apple forums are full of people with the same issue. So I can wait until it falls below 80% or pay $69 now out of pocket when I already am paying $300 extra for my AppleCare+ with Theft and Loss (and I’ve never lost or had my iPhone stolen like the irresponsible teens in this day and age).

Your battery is a whole 13% down after a year and you're upset you have to wait for a 7% larger drop to get apple to change out the battery for free? That's not a massive struggle... You know all batteries lose capacity over time, yeah? Also if you keep it charging most of the time why does the relatively small drop bother you at all?

I am 42 years old. I have been using Apple’s since 1986, and Macs since 1989-90. I started on a Commodore 64. I built my own 486/50 PC later on, when my 1GB Micropolis HD cost $890, around 1994. In 1992 or ‘93 I bought an Apple Quadra 840AV, the first Mac with video output on the motherboard, which used a Motorola 68040 processor at 40MHz (and if you speak with any Apple techs or supervisors on the phone, none of them have ever known what computer that is if I ask them, which I sometimes do to make them feel stupid; doesn’t Apple teach their employees about the company’s history? Shouldn’t that be a prerequisite for hiring?) They seem to only hire the young, naive millennials or Gen Z’s that know nothing about Apple’s decline into near-bankruptcy.

What are you even talking about? You're bothered that some retail employees can't tell you about the specs on 68040? I don't have enough room here to describe how much I'm rolling my eyes

If I didn’t rely so much on Apple, based around my profession (and I’m still using the late-2015 27” 5K retina iMac 🖥 with all the top options), and I didn’t hate Android so much, I’d make a shift. So I have my iPhone, iPad, four AppleTV boxes (3rd Gen HD, 4th Gen HD, 4K Gen 1, and 4K Gen 2 with their new remote) and still using my 15 year old Sony 46” HD TV ($3K back then) using CCFL which has better color and motion than any other TV on the market under $2K, only lacking better contrast ratio, and 55” Sony TV that’s 11 years old with LED side-lit (not nearly as nice as the 46” which has front firing speakers).

Did you make this post just to brag about how much you've spent on tech? Wait, you mentioned over $160k of audio gear earlier so probably yes.

And don’t even get me started with the hundreds of bugs in iOS 15 public beta 2. I submit feedback all the time but they never listen.

From the tone of your novella here I can't imagine why.

Everyone agrees that the biggest redesign flaw, a mixture of Chrome for iOS and an app the only a team with their heads up their asses could design and green light: the all new and building back horrible, Safari.

Everyone? Everywhere?

Plus, the iOS 15 pb2 download was a 6.7GB file, like standard but what was not standard is that it unpacks itself into a 28GB iOS. From 14.7 beta 4, with 36GB storage remaining on my iPhone, iOS 15 pb2 took it down to 15GB storage left.

It's a beta...

Speaking of bad design, this ties it all together. On AppleTV, Apple Music is fine; the album cover is on the left and the lyrics are on the right. Ever since iOS 13 I’ve been BEGGING Apple to fix this simple problem!

The horror!

Are these morons that code for Apple on serious drugs?

Wut?

No one realized this in the past 3-4 years? Seriously? Not everyone wants to listen with headphones all the time (and I’m the one with pairs of $4,000 headphones)! That is, after all why you have stereo speakers on the iPhone and claim the iPhone (11 and 12 series) speakers can play in Dolby Atmos (or Spatial Audio). So to any Apple engineers reading this: STOP BEING SO DAMN LAZY AND USE SOME COMMON SENSE (which to you isn’t common at all)!!!!

You just bragged you have over $100k in audio gear, including multiple pairs of $4k headphones, and you're trying to compare that gear favorably to the speakers on a phone?

So that’s that. 🤪 Tirade and rant over.

Well, that's 10 minutes of my life I won't get back

Canado

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
Even at home, when I use the phone extensively, I charge while using the iPhone (cable on/behind couch). The smaller iPhones have not a enough all day battery life - especially after 2 years.

Green argument: How much would world wide power consumption rise when all iPhone users have switched to wireless? That contradicts the zero emission plans.

Reactions: ConfusedChris

Detnator

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2011
Even at home, when I use the phone extensively, I charge while using the iPhone (cable on/behind couch). The smaller iPhones have not a enough all day battery life - especially after 2 years.

Green argument: How much would world wide power consumption rise when all iPhone users have switched to wireless? That contradicts the zero emission plans.
That green comment is a good point. Maybe that’s why they haven’t done it yet.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Wireless charging takes twice as long & uses twice the energy as wired charging. I think that needs to change before Apple gets rid of the port completely on iPhones.

Reactions: compwiz1202

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
They haven't done it yet because they're saving it for a year that the upgrades feel less than what they should be. They'll throw this in and it'll be the big upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.