Kurdish Region in Northern Iraq Will Get to Keep Special Status

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jan 5, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

i wonder what the kurds did to convince the bush administration to take this position, especially considering:

2. Desertrat macrumors newbie

The whole Kurd deal is a can of worms for Turkey, Iraq and Iran. The Kurds want a "Kurdistan" of the land areas where they are (historically) the great majority of the population. Turkey and Iran have a "No way in Hell!" attitude. In the past, same for Iraq.

From what I've read about the "restructuring" of Iraq, the Kurds (highly suspicious folks, naturally) have been rather non-cooperative insofar as any trust of the proposals to date.

A further problem is the internal divisions within the Kurdish people.

IMO, it doesn't matter what is proposed for Iraq, as to any form of government of any sort whatsoever. The Kurds will continue to be a source of divisiveness. In their collective opinion, they've been crapped on by everybody, forever. They see no reason to trust any government but whatever they, themselves, can develop--and, maybe, not even then.

'Rat

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Re: Kurdish Region in Northern Iraq Will Get to Keep Special Status

I think it ties into the SH capture. Also, gw needs to get re-elected this year and ANY sign of peace in Iraq is good propaganda. Of course, it is a stupid idea without support from Iran and Turkey, two countries that have shown no interest whatsoever in a separate Kurdish state. Without that cooperation, gw has lit the flame to a Kurdish conflagration.