Kutagari Does It Again

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Jun 20, 2006.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Playstation 3 is suffering from a personality disorder....

Is it a console? Well consoles dont retail at 599 so errr lets call it a super computer..

Only its a computer running a version of linux that will probably be crippled and with only 512mb of ram divided between gpu & cpu (so really only 256mb) it's a relativly underpowered computer running a strange operating system that has less chance of wining over the public as the 3.6% of mac owners impact the mainstream.

Sony just simply don't know what to do with it do they. Nobs!!!

All these coments coming from Sony HQ just smell of PR Desperation.

Call it all you want Sony, your not going to change the publics viewpoint of the PS3 as a console. No computer is called a 'play station' that's a console/toy and your success over the last two versions has solidified that. Period...

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i agree :D

Sony are Nobs!

3. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

hehe. Constructive thread eh? ;)
    Still, good point

4. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

weird - PS2 was the best , but all this messing around over the PS3 is just plain crazy.

i gave into the 360 just because sony would not pull there finger out and release a games console.

5. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

I didnt like the PS2 as much as the Xbox. I just felt the original Xbox controller was better designed. Most people said it was too large, but i felt it sat right in your hand.

6. ScarletRed macrumors regular

ScarletRed

Then you must have BIG hands.....

7. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

You know what they say about people with big hands ;)

They have to wear oversized gloves :p What did you think I was going to say :D

8. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

big gloves:p

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well Sony need to make up their minds. decide what you want to do with the PS3 and just do it. i mean don't do all this back and forth, its a computer, no its a console crap. make a choice and go with it. simple as that.

this back and forth game will only frustrate the public as they won't know what to expect come release time. and that will hurt the PS3 sales majorly.

a BTO PS3? no thanks.

10. jdechko macrumors 68040

I think a BTO console kinda defeats the purpose. I mean, if you do something like the 360 (with the premium and core versions) thats one thing. But part of what makes a console appealing (to me at least) is the fact that everyone has the same system specs, so you know the games will run. Usually, even, they run better at the end of the life cycle (after devs figure out how to squeeze every ounce of power out of the system (RE4 on the gamecube). It's why I pretty much have gotten out of PC gaming. I don't want to have to upgrade to play the latest games.

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed....give us a gaming console or a vaio....i'm not interested in another computer just the game. It seems as sony is trying to say "Xbox360 and the Wii is not a factor here....we are after the computer people".....So what operating system are you giving us sony?...i hope its your own and not just linux.

Bless

12. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

They are just stuck in a mire and dont know what to do. I mean grasping at straws or what. If they dont find focus VERY soon, they will lose - simply due to their own ineptness.

PlayStation is a gaming console brand. The consumer knows this.
    Sony also make Vaio computers. A good few consumers know this.

PlayStation 3 doesnt know what it is and running Linux will not only confuse Joe Public, I mean it's bad enough the perception of Apple Mac's to general consumer 'that strange operating system that's not windows' but Linux? And possibly a Sony flavoured version of Linux? That normal consumer cant just pop down to the highstreet and buy anything for ?

PS3 Suicide... That's what this is....

Give us a standard CONSOLE at 399 - That's all we want Sony.
    Take your BTO nonsense, and upgrades and stick them where the sun doesnt shine.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Are Sony trying to copy Nintendo in marketing too now?

Nintendo - We're not trying to compete. Our system is different.
    Sony - We're competing, but we're making a computer not a console.

If all this is true then the 360 is the only console out there and has already won :D or all 3 systems have won! conradulashuns boyz.

But down to earth. Why are the competition trying to just split themselves up. Diversity is good and that, I'd like a broader market than last gen where basically every system was the same. But now. This is just too much. everyones pulling to get their own niche market.

Sony are just getting too cocky with their PS1 and PS2 success. Following Nintendo to a slump period it seems. Phenomenal success with NES and Snes then they sort of lost it (to the public, still made the best games for me).

14. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Looks like Microsoft is preapring a nasty surprise for Sony. (If rumor is true):

Linky-Dinky

15. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

A price drop and the release of Halo 3 would destroy the PS3. One can only hope.

16. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Seems to me that all of these articles on Sony and Kutaragi are taken completely out of context, and are a mish-mash of quotes which have nothing to do with each other.

I think the PS3 will outsell both the 360 and the wii, and I highly doubt that the 360 will cost half as much this christmas, as MS is still losing money on these units. They want to nearly double their losses? I don't think so. Maybe at the most you'll see a 50 dollar cut, but to cut it from 499. to 249.00. No way in hell.

17. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Well. Altough I think a 360 pricedrop is a nice thing, I wouldn't wish the PS3 destroyed. There's a bunch of cool Sony exclusives I will want to be playing and I'd hate the PS3 to do pull a Dreamcast on me.

I loved my Dreamcast :_(

According to the linky-dinky, the pricedrop would happen in a context where the 360 team will be redesigning the IBM and ATI chips to cut costs. I still think this is unlikely but it surely is in the realm of the possible.

18. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Hey we all know a console after its first year, heading to it's second christmas always gets a small price cut. Even if it's a negligable about say $29 off.....

I dont think Microsoft or nintendo are going to spoil the party as Sony HQ. They seem determined to do that themselves.

And so what if the PS3 isnt a great hit, do you not think those third party exclusives would simply decide hell, foget that were going to release on 360 & PC as well.

Only titles that will truly be 'exclusives' as proven in the past will be first party titles.

PS3 will have a good christmas, its bound too. It's what the new year brings that will really paint the future of the ps3.

19. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Some people don't give a damn about the price drop....They want the PS3 no matter if Halo3 is coming or price drop is near...still won't change the launch of the PS3...well so I think.

Sony will do good this xmas.

Bless

20. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah that's what I meant by it will still have a good christmas it's bound too. Its whether casual joe soap will jump on board in the new year and subsequently that remains to be seen.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I thought you were a realist? You do know that in the UK you could buy a Wii and 3 games and a 360 and 2 games, or a PS3 and 3 games for the same price.
    I dunno about the rest of the world but the PS3 will bomb in Europe unless Sony do something about that price. Minute price differences do little in competitive markets but we're taking a lot of money here, how will Sony come first by moving to a smaller target audience?

22. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Regardless of what you see here on MR, the rest of the world isn't as pro-nintendo. Sony dominated with the PSX, the PSOne, and the PS2. Why wouldn't they dominate with the PS3? And that is being realistic. Millions of people are looking forward to actually using their HDTV for movies, and bluray will help that cause. Is it enough to make Bluray a standard? I don't know.

But the PS2 outsold the GC and Xbox put together, if I remember correctly. And no, not everyone cares about price. Price means nothing to me unless it were unrealistic. 1000 bucks would be too much. 600? That's what you spend on a 360 with a wifi adapter, and no HD DVD adapter. Well worth it to most people.

23. x86 macrumors regular

x86

I just want to point out that Nintendo also outsold the competition during the NES days through the SNES days and totally bombed on the N64. So really Sony's history is irrelevant. Nintendo got a little too arrogant after the SNES and look what happened… Sony seems to be following in their footsteps.

24. x86 macrumors regular

x86

This whole deal with the PS3 being a computer seems to be Sony's way of competing with Microsoft on two fronts, PC games, and console games. I'm not too sure how this will work, but it seems a little strange to me. Hmm... this reminds me of the Commodore Amiga.

25. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Perhaps. Only time will tell for sure, but Nintendo also lost tons of developers to other platforms once Sony entered the console market. Graphically the N64 was supposed to be superior, but ended up falling short of the Playstation Console.

Don't get me wrong, Sony could fail in the HD war and fall short of completely owning the gaming market, but chances of this are slim. Like I said, the 360 may have a minor price cut, but even at a 50 dollar cut a stacked 360 costs more than a PS3.

I own and love my 360 (well, kind of love it, the fact they haven't released the Street Fighter II Hyperfighting game, yet they have icons and themes for download really pisses me off). But I think it will fall short in the end, again. I think the 360 and Wii will have a good fight going for market dominance for sure. The price of the wii appeals to a lot of people, but there are those who can't stand a lot of the titles Nintendo has running for it's game line up.

But it all comes back to these game critics splicing quotes and ideas of Sony just to make some BS story. I guess they have nothing better to come up with to get hits on their websites.