Kutaragi is an idiot...

Discussion in 'Games' started by saunders45, Jun 15, 2006.

1. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Sold Separately eh. I don't know if he is joking about this or if it means nothing. But with all the crap coming out of his mouth, who knows.

3. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    While my work firewall blocks game site links, the quote you have there, is true. The Playstation was the first successful CD-based system and paved the way for all of the systems out today. Without it, we'd probably still be using cartridges.

4. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Yep, and thank-god we still use cartridges for portables

5. jdechko macrumors 68040

I believe that means that the PS3 will directly contribute to global warming... or something like that.

6. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Um was the Sega Saturn not launched first and had a CD drive? Granted there were earlier unsuccessful consoles with CD drives, but the Saturn was surely popular enough to be called successful.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea, I'd love a Cell in my PowerBook. you know. a chip thats not meant for computer usage (from what I heard about "Macs to use Cell" debates a while back it's a 1 trick pony).

All I'm hearing from this guy at the moment is BS. I don't think anybody is listening anymore, other than to criticise.

I didn't ask for a computer in my TV. I just want a frakkin TV that a computer can be plugged into. I don't want my TV to be needlessly expensive and use up even more power just to satisfy some guy waxing lyrical his new processor, from a company getting nothing but bad press recently. Oh bugger, I can't watch Doctor Who now because my TV has a virus. aw crap! The microwaves crashed again... Did someone forget to defrag the proximity light?!

World would be a cold place without Sony? not really. For one we'd still have Sega, though who can really say what would happen? Systems would have disc based drives by now though. Nintendo were going to CD's, hence them kickstarting "playstation" with Sony. They stuck with carts because CD's didn't give them what they wanted. I've yet to play any Nintendo system with anything but a quick load time. and I'm glad for that. Us Amiga and Commodore users were burned with loading. And the slow speed of BluRay is going to keep that load bar ticking over in the PS3 days.

8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Saturn was not popular....the life on that thing didn't last long at all...Even the Sega CD was better than that thing. Playstation was the 1st success in that CD era of gaming...

Bless

9. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Can we have an offical PS3 thread? I swear, everything new that Sony says has to be posted.

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

We have one...it got lost somewhere....Maybe because I put a "don't Hate" on the thread.

Bless

11. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

For me, 10m sales is popular enough. Although even the N64 got 3x more.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I think he meant "not successful compared to competition" instead of popular.

Anyways. It's not hating. What, you think everything this guy is saying is not worthy of criticism? Nintendo change the name of their console to something 99.9% of people thought was funny, which attracted crap loads of negative attention, but thats okay?

If somebody does something wrong I will point and laugh and explain why. But when someone does something right I won't say anything or just congratulate. But c'mon... everyone and their puppy knows that Sony have taken a stupid pill of late.

13. cait-sith macrumors regular

Why is it so important who came first? What's important is who's here now. Sega doesn't make consoles anymore.

Amen! Enough of this "one unified solution" crap. n-in-1 technologies try to do everything well and usually do nothing well.

14. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Nope. MS would be using CD for xBox, and the big N would have come over as well, and Sega could still be making systems, and they used CD as well

15. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Maybe, but maybe not. CD based systems weren't a raging success until the playstation. Without that model to go off of, other systems may not be where they are today.

However, I think that a fridge or dishwasher, or even a microwave with a cell processor is a useless idea. Unless it's a sex-bot. But to have my fridge folding at home while dispensing ice... that's ridiculous.

I do think Sony has had some bad judgement as of late, but to me, MGS4 is worth more than 50 Xbox 360's and 100 Wii's put together.

16. Torajima macrumors regular

FYI, both the Sega CD and the Turbo CD were CD based systems and were out years before the Playstation. Sony didn't exactly invent CD drives...

17. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Did you not read where I and others said as it being the first successful CD based system? Of course there were systems long before the PSX, but none that made any significant impact on the gaming industry. Most of them were laughed out of existence. Even the Dreamcast which was popular wasn't a raging success, which is why Sega finally moved out of the hardware industry and focuses only on software now.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Is this what we call blind faith? I mean we've seen no gameplay footage. I'm going to await judgement of each machine and to play the game to see how many Xbox 360's and how many Wii's it's worth.

19. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^I'm going to hold you to it next time you prance around about SSB.;) :)

Bless

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm talking nothing but potential about Smash Bros Brawl. not saying it will be good and worth X amounts of Random Console, far from it. if you remember I got a little angry at some of the announcements too. The bubble burst.

;)

21. Torajima macrumors regular

Oh, I read it. I just disagree with your theory that the Playstation is somehow responsible for later systems having CD drives, as the industry was already heading in that direction long before Sony released their system.

Heck, the Playstation wasn't even Sony's idea... it was Nintendo's.

22. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

No, it was a joint Nintendo-Sony product called Project Dolphin, and Sony said "nah, we don't like what you want to do with it, we'll make our own system altogether." And thus the Playstation was released.

You could say that. I LOVE Metal Gear, and I'm also it's biggest critic. 1 and 3 were phenomenal games. The 2nd (including Substance for Xbox) and Twin Snakes were rancid. But this time, snake is fighting between 2 warring countries. TWO. Not just one enemy force, but TWO! It'll be so insane!

But then again, I buy Xboxes for the DOA titles mostly. Halo was what actually made me buy the first Xbox. Halo 2 was a total drag except for multiplayer (well, until the cheaters became promenant.)

So, yeah, I buy consoles for few games, but I play the hell out of those games.

23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

1) What's so bad about cartridges? At least for its time, the N64 looked just as good as the Playstation. Lower quality textures but higher polygon counts. Look at Zelda 64.

2) Sega Saturn beat the Playstation to the market and had a CD drive. If Playstation hadn't been around Saturn would have been in its place.

3) Sega Dreamcast came out a year and a half before the GameCube and used 1 GB disks. XBox came out at the same time as the GC using 8.5 GB DVDs. Nintendo and Sony and Nintendo and Phillips had both looked towards developing CD addons for the SNES and N64- it's likely the GC would have used disks anyway.

24. ChrisK018 macrumors regular

When does MGS4 = Sony? Didn't MGS start out on Nintendo? Just because Sony currently has the rights locked up for the latest adventure of everyone's favorite stubbled sneaky sharpshooter it does not make the PS3 a better performing platform. It just makes it an expensive platform with a good game.

Right now the PS3 is looking like it's going to be worth two 360's by the time it rolls out and maybe three Wii's give or take a few games.

I'd be careful singing the praises of a PS3 and talking about Sega in the same breath-- that might jinx Sony even more than the they already are with their price tag.

25. Doraemon macrumors 6502

Reading this sort of threads is so boring on Macrumors. Nintendo fanboys (mostly), Sony fanboys just bashing each other.
    Why can't both consoles be great? Which one will make the race will be decided by sales. Period.
    Dreamcast was great and didn't make it. That doesn't make it bad, but it also doesn't make it the best console ever (it sometimes feels like it, when reading some posts here).
    MG4 is going to be great. But so are many titles for Wii. And many for 360 (just Halo 3 is probably going to be worth buying a 360).

Peace.

P.S. I am looking forward to both Wii and PS3.
    P.P.S. And yes, Sony is arrogant. But if the product is good, so what?