KVM for Mac/PC combo?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by LethalWolfe, Apr 3, 2002.

1. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Could I use a KVM to control a Mac and a PC? Or would the keyboard and mouse differences just be a pain in the butt?

Lethal

2. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Try a USB KVM...I have a switch with 1 OSX Mac, 1 OS 9 Mac, one Dell Craptop, and one BeOS machine, works like a charm.

3. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I assume Windows keyboards would work on OSX, I would advise using the Pro Mouse and KBoard (My friend who useds a AMD 2000+ uses the Pro Keyboard and Mouse with no problems)

Ensign

4. Grrrant macrumors newbie

Yes!

I use a Dr. Bott KVM MoniSwitch2USB switch for my Mac and PC and it rocks! I share an Apple USB keyboard and Logitech mouse (and monitor) with both computers (beige G3 tower upgraded with USB/OS9.1 and a Pentium3/Win2k) with no problems. Win 2k recognized the keyboard and setup the correct driver automatically. The only gripe I have is really small - there is a 5 second pause when nothing happens when you switch to the mac - otherwise switching back and forth between the computers has been flawless and stable.

http://www.drbott.com/prod/action.l...-response=detail.html&-recordID=33099&-search

The switch starts at $140 (for 2 computers) and comes with good quality USB and video cables to connect both computers to the switch. And it even looks nice!

Good luck!

Grant

5. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

6. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Are their Mac drivers for my M$ intellimouse optical? I'd rather not use the apple pro mouse.

Lethal

7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I use a Belkin 4 port KVM switch at work, but only use it to split the video signal, not for using one keyboard/mouse on up to four systems. With that one, I can plug in any combination of Mac and peecee that I need to. I typically have enough keyboards and mice to go around for each system, so I don't have to worry about that.

8. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Unfortunetly I don't have the desk space at home to deal w/2 sets of KB&M...

Lethal

9. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

MS just released drivers last week for OS X...finally...

10. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Woohoo! :)

Lethal