KVM Reccomendations

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dmachine, Nov 26, 2005.

1. dmachine macrumors member

dmachine

I am looking to get a KVM for my two PowerMac G4's. Can someone reccomend a good one that works with Macs because the one that I wanted to get from the Apple site had a reviewer saying that it didnt work too well under Tiger. I want to get one that will share my speakers also. I will probably be getting an iMac G5 and will be using that in the same area that the PowerMacs are in. I know that I wont be able to use the iMacs monitor for the PowerMacs but I was wondering if I would be able to use all three of them with the same keyboard,mouse,monitor and speakers. Any suggestions/comments?

2. dmachine thread starter macrumors member

dmachine

Come on, no one here uses a KVM switch? I know some people must be using a KVM here. I really need to know what ones will work the best with Macs.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I'm using an iogear switch that has DVI/USB and audio. It works for Panther (haven't tried Tiger) it's fairly pricey, you'd need the 4-machine version. When switching back to my G4 1.25DP, it momentarily picks it up as 640 x 480 on my Dell FPW2005, then after about three seconds rewrites the screen as the proper widescreen res. But this is a pain because the palettes for Photoshop etc, reposition themselves to the centre of the screen.

4. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    A friend uses a KVM in order to use her home machine (iMac) and her work-at-home machine (Windoze) with the same keyboard and mouse since she is cramped for space and doesn't have room for two complete setups. I'll check with her to see which brand and type of KVM she has.

OTB

5. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

click on the search button and type "KVM".

6. robthomas47 macrumors newbie

got one

i use a connectpro ur-12. you can probably share your speakers if they're USB, it has a total of 3 USB console ports for mouse, keyboard, and whatever else you want to share, like a printer.