KVM Recommendations

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by yg17, Jan 9, 2006.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    Hi all,

I need a KVM switch that takes USB keyboards and mice as inputs and then connects to the comp with USB, and must work with switching between a Mac and PC. I found this on eBay, but was wondering if anyone knew of anything cheaper. Thanks :)
  2. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    I've had one of these Dr. Bott dual-VGA/USB switches since early 2001... works perfectly between my Mac mini and my Sony PCs, and it's very solidly built. Dr. Bott has a whole line of switches that might be suited to your purposes.

(Yes, this ain't cheap. But it is VERY well made and works perfectly.)
  3. RichP macrumors 68000

Jun 30, 2003
    Motor City
    I use a KVM by Gefen.

Works very well, and they generally include interconnect cables, which can be very expensive on their own.
  4. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    I bought a Belkin KVM with USB and it was a pain. It kept wanting to change channel, I returned it for a replacement. It to had similar problems, i ended up giving up.

I found getting hold of KVM switches with USB was a pain compared to the cheap readily avaialble ps2 models.

Wow Clayj that Dr.Bott model is like 400 Dollars :eek: I know the belkin were rubbish, but they were only 30... For 400 bucks you can get a decent monitor and keyboard and frig sharing :D
  5. motherduce macrumors 6502

Oct 3, 2005
    Houston, TX
    If you have one monitor, I suggest Belkin. I've had one for 5 years and it's been great.

If you have two monitors, but want one keyboard, you can use Synergy.

6. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    I said it wasn't cheap.

And sure, you can get another monitor, keyboard, and mouse... but where ya gonna put 'em? I use my Dr. Bott switch to share a keyboard, mouse, and 2 displays between 3 machines (and could have one more machine connected).
  7. stevep macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2004
    I'm using a Belkin DK102U with a PC, a Mac Mini, an Apple k/b, a MS Intellimouse and a 17" Iiyama monitor and its absolutely fine. I've just bought two more for work and they're also working ok. Switching from one machine to another results in about 3 secs delay before the mouse moves but that's not a problem.
    I believe they also make a similar model with audio sockets as well.
    If I were you I'd get one with built in cables - seperate cables will put the cost up considerably.
  8. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    yeah ummm search the forums, you gonna find a lot of info on this question...
  9. GothamKnight macrumors newbie

Dec 16, 2005
    most affordable switches that have USB only have one USB cable. i have a PC and Mac. i guess i can try to see if having my apple keyboard with the mouse attached to the keyboard would work with my PC though i doub it will.
  10. Rick72 macrumors newbie

Jan 15, 2006

I'm using an IOGear Miniview GCS124U (4-port) with 2 pc's and a mac mini. Keyboard is generic usb pc and a microsoft intellimouse 3.0. Works ok. The kvm comes with cables. (Newegg has it for $under $175 with shipping) I tried a Cables to Go switch, but it didn't support the extra mouse buttons for pc use.
    I have a Logitech mx518 mouse for gaming, and it would lock up games on the pc when using it through the KVM. I have it hooked up directly to that pc now.