KVM switch between mac and PC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by earthtoandy, Sep 22, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502

Jan 18, 2003
    do you guys know of any good KVM switches that will handle both.. I am assuming this means it is has usb instead of PS/2

i am getting a powerbook soon and when i am at home i want a way to easily use my mouse and monitor from my PC for it.

any suggestions?

this is of course until i can get my 23" alu display
  2. macrumors regular

May 14, 2004
    New Jersey

I've got the Dr. Bott MoniSwitch Pro 8 USB, and it works very well. I'm running it with 2 Powermacs and 4 PCs. I tried it with a HP 23" Flat Panel running 1920 x 1200 and it looked great; no ghosting at all. I'm using a Mac keyboard, and the PCs work with mouse and keyboard coming in via USB. They make a 2USB and a 4USB also. Hope this helps.

3. macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy part of the Pacific NW
    The USB KVM switches are the best choice - but you can also buy adapter cables (PS2 keyboard+mouse to USB) that work. I have an older KVM that only has PS2 input, so I use one of those to hook my Powerbook up.
  4. Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    We have a 4-way Dr. Bott USB moniswitch at work.

It's OK 95% of the time but occasionally doesn't quite connect properly so the rotary switch then needs a bit of switching back & forth.

Wasn't entirely impressed with the build quality (particularly the USB ports at the back).

Still, I have no experience of any others so I'd give it a qualified 'satisfactory'...
  5. macrumors regular

Aug 18, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    A couple of months ago I was using one of those inexpensive IOGear KVM switches from Best Buy. It worked fantastic and I was very impressed that it held up under high resolutions with no ghosting. I'd recommend it.