Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dburney

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2006
I'm getting ready to set up two G4s for use as a file server and a back up server. I've been looking at a few cheap KVM solutions to share one monitor and keyboard/mouse between the two. I've found an Iogear USB switch for $69.99 and a Belkin switch for $59.99. The main difference appears to be the Iogear also provides support for sharing audio - which I don't need.

I've seen several reviews (good and bad) for both switches in a Mac/PC set up. Although the trend tends to be toward the bad I'm optimistic that a Mac/Mac set up would less likely see any problems. Has anyone had any experience with either product? We have other Belkin products in house that work fine - but I don't have any experience with Iogear. Any suggestions/comments are appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GCS632U&name=MiniView%E2%84%A2%20Micro%20USB%20PLUS%20KVM%20Switch

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=164030

F

freakonguitar

umm....well i think belkin would probably be a bit better than the other one. I don't really know if there would be a difference between mac and mac. Although i can see some problems with keyboard and mouse compatability if it were pc/mac. (maybe i don't know for sure) but i think mac to mac should work fine, since a lot of ppl run pc to pc without much trouble. :)

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
I would search around ebay and froogle (if you haven't already), you can find an option in the $25-30 range.

Or just build your own. DIY, baby!

relimw

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2004
SC
Just a thought, but you could try a software only method using VNC and Chicken of the VNC. This is how I maintain my webserver and public codebuilder machines.

As far as belkin vs iogear, we used to use belkin, but in our mixed win/mac/linux world they never worked well. No experience with iogear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.