KVM Switch without the V

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by andrewheard, Jun 12, 2006.

1. andrewheard macrumors regular

I have an LCD with VGA and DVI. I currently hook my mac up with the DVI but I'd like to hook an old PC into the VGA. I'd like to be able to use my current keyboard with the 2 computers and switch the video with my monitor. I guess I need a Keyboard/Mouse switch. If anyone has any ideas, that would be great.

2. macrlz9 macrumors 6502

macrlz9

sounds like you just described a kvm switch? one display keyboard and mouse and you want to switch between ur pc and mac right?

3. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

they never learn....

i would just get a kvm switch and not use the vga channels

4. reh macrumors 6502a

5. angelneo macrumors 68000

If you got a network between your mac and pc, you don't even need to spend a single cent, just use synergy. It's open source.

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

6. emaja macrumors 68000

7. andrewheard thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies. The USB switch or Synergy should work. Is it possible to set up synergy to switch to the other PC when you do a certain keystroke. Is there a lot of latency with the mouse movement?

8. andrewheard thread starter macrumors regular

I just tried this out and while its meant for 2 monitors, it still works great. I found this GUI installer for the mac and that made it all easy to setup. All I have to do is move the mouse to the right of the screen and it switches to the PC. Then I just switch inputs on my monitor and boom, I'm on the PC. As long as the PC isn't turned on it wont try and switch computers when I move the mouse to the right so its not a problem that way.

Thanks for the idea,

Andrew