KVM Switch

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by GoCubsGo, Mar 2, 2005.

1. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I am in the market to share my CRT, Keyboard, and Mouse (and I wouldn't mind sharing my Wacom) with my PC and PowerBook. I have the following items:

CRT Monitor (which will be replaced with an LCD).
    Logitech MXLaser Mouse (has two plugs a/c plug and USB plug).
    Logitech wireless keyboard (which came with the mouse that I do not use). The keyboard plugs into a ps2 port and a usb port but since the mouse is not used, the ps2 part is not an issue).
    Wacom Intuos3 (Needs a powered USB port).

The wacom is a want not a need...so if that hinders what I need then we'll take this out of the mix.
    All I want to do is switch between the pc (intel p4) and the laptop (pbook). I keep reading about this super expensive belkin model, but it is out of stock and it talks about dvi. I am not sure I need the dvi. Even if I did there are adaptors that are cheaper than the belkin kvm switch. And my pbook came with some adaptor, but I am not sure if that is what everyone talks about. Anyway, can anyone recommend a kvm switch (model specific)?

Thank you.

2. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I have an IOGear KVM switch that I use to switch between a G3 tower, a Ti PB 500, and a no-name PC. It works fine. It's vga, not DVI, but that serves my needs for these three machines that share the same monitor (19" Viewsonic), keyboard, and mouse. And I attached a USB hub to the USB port of the KVM switch and share an array of USB devices (Zip, printer, etc.).

3. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

dumb question, will an lcd share the same type of plug as a crt?

4. advocate macrumors regular

The GCS1734 is great - also allows for microphone and speaker (1/8") to be shared, and you can switch everything, or just console, USB peripherals, or audio separately, by tapping keys on the keyboard. The price includes the cables. Considering that cables are typically $35 per set, and you need one set for each computer, it adds up fast.

5. advocate macrumors regular

Depends on what plug it takes. ;p DVI is the one with three square rows of pins plus a + shaped set of pins on one side, VGA is the one with three staggered rows of pins. You can get VGA out of your PowerBook using the DVI-I to VGA cable that came with it. Newer LCD screens take DVI or both whereas older LCD screens (including the one I have) take VGA.

6. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

Belkin

Belkin makes a pretty nice one that you can find on newegg.com for like 40 bucks. I use it between my Pbook and PC sharing a 17" LCD (VGA might i add). It works really nice and like I said... it was pretty cheap in comparison. It shares my powered 7-port USB hub (also by belkin) which now has my Wacom attached to it, and also my wireless logitech access keyboard and mx700 mouse. I also have a Logitech mx310 mouse hooked up strait to the PB, just incase i need to switch back to the PC i can still use the PB...

7. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I guess I thought it was less involved. See a KVM switch I used to have was $40. I just plugged my stuff into it. The cables I had came with the devices I was plugging in. Apprently I was mistaken. I thought this would be something I could do for $50.

8. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

this is actually the one that i was referring to. Has built in audio and cabling. It is also USB. And i think that it is in the price range that you were thinkin about...

9. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

h0e0h that does appear to be what I thought I wanted.
    I do not need high tech or even switching via hot keys. I just want to be able to run back and forth with no issues.
    Do I need anything else with that?
    Thanks!

10. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

I didn't realize $45 was expensive. Ive seen KVM's in the +100 range. That is an inexpensive KVM and if its DVI thats great i was looking for one of those.

11. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

It's not. DVI KVMs will run $200 or so.

12. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

I use a 4-way Belkin KVM with VGA - it's actually the cables (4 sets) that run more than the KVM unit! Be sure to get longer cables if some of the units are a bit further away from the switch.

They now make this same model with DVI. (edit to add link)

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatSectionView.process?IWAction=Load&Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=201729

But I'm pretty happy with the Belkin - I had a cheap PS/2 switch that I used to use for monitors only, and it WAS cheap in every way. I'd sometimes have to jiggle the switch to get it to synch right.

13. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

14. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

That one is PS2 - they need a USB version.

15. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

But this is good right? And it comes with everything I need---right??
    Ebay Belkin Soho

or this with USB Belkin USB

anyway I appreciate the help from you all.

16. angelneo macrumors 68000

There is a software call synergy recently posted here that allows you to share your keyboard and mouse controls between multiple computers mac/pc. However, you need to be on a network and it does not allow monitor sharing. just for your information. can't really help much

17. yuck macrumors member

18. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

This link is for a KVM (K = Keyboard, V = Video, M = Mouse) switch for PS/2 computers.

You'll need one with USB connections to hook up to a PB.

The way it works is that you plug your Keyboard, Video(monitor), and Mouse into the switch. Then you have separate cables (as many as your KVM unit supports) going to each individual computer.

When you "switch" between computers, the unit changes to link the input and display to the proper computer.

19. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I just bought the same kvm from the same guy yesterday but mine is USB. Here is a link to one he is selling.
    I was getting the SOHO the more popular one and more expensive, but it was $75 without cables and I'd need a whole set of cables which will get costly.
    USB KVM from eBay