KVM Switch?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by the_insider, Nov 16, 2005.

1. the_insider macrumors regular

the_insider

Hey guys i need your help here.

I am running my powerbook, with a second monitor for spanning. I was wondering if it would be possible to get a kvm switch and switch from my mac spanning monitor, to my pc. How am i supposed to do this?

2. the_insider thread starter macrumors regular

the_insider

thanks, that was alot of help. But my question is..

if i were to have the pc running. wouldnt the powerbook still think the monitor is plugged in. The powerbook would act as if it were in spanning mode. would this cause a problem?

3. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

if you are using spanning the pb monitor will stay on according to your screensaver/engery saving settings. your crt will switch you pc. You can switch back and forth and it will act as expected. The OS X is smart enough to know what you are doing.

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I monitor span from my PowerBook, and I have an old iMac connected to a scanner (since UMAX never released OS X drivers). I have the iMac tucked away with only the scanner out. I use a KVM to momentarily switch to a mirrored iMac display to set-up the scan and then access the scanned files over an ad hoc AppleTalk network.

Long story short, the PowerBook stays in spanning mode when I'm switched over to the iMac, so it works great!