KVM Switch

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by adamb100, Jan 14, 2006.

1. adamb100 macrumors regular

My MS keyboard/mouse is ONE USB Plug. Any kvms that allow this?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

3. adamb100 thread starter macrumors regular

I bought one today that is USB.

I plug the plug in the keyboard port and the mouse doesnt work in Mac OS or Windows or Linux but I can switch computers. Mac OS fully detects keyboard

Put the plug in the mouse slot, everything works BUT...

Mac OS detects another keyboard and when I configure it, it says I am using the internal keybord when I should use the external keyboard.
    Cant switch computers.

4. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

I'm using http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=164050 to switch between my mac mini and a linux/windows box.

The nice thing about this belkin is that it has a button on the kvm to trigger the switching most of the other usb kvm's I've seen use a keyboard hot key. I have the kvm set up to only switch the monitor and audio and I have an apple keyboard and mouse plugged directly into the mac mini and a half size keyboard plugged directly into the linux box. Since this Belkin kvm is powered by usb I also have the kvm connected via usb to each of the computers but clicked on cancel when OS X detected the keyboard emulator in the kvm. So far I have not had any issues with this setup.

5. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

I've got a similar Belkin KVM's - mine don't have the audio, but do have the 2 usb ports. Got one from Amazon (UK) and the other two from the Apple.com/uk - prices similar in both. They come with built in cables, which is good as seperate cables can be expensive.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

The one I purchased for my parents has 2 PS/2 ports, 1 VGA port, and 1 USB port. I hooked up their PC and Mac without the PS/2 ports. The mouse/keyboard combo hooks to the USB port and the monitor hooks to the VGA. It works fine.