KVM with a PowerMac G5 and a Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Kyle Nerder, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Kyle Nerder macrumors regular

Kyle Nerder

Hello,
    It's been a while since I have even been on these forums, but I know when I ask things here, I get real answers and very usefull advice. So thanks in advance.

So at my work I need to build setup to be able to control a PowerMac G5 and Intel Mac Mini all from one desk. My space is limited and the PowerMac is functioning as our file sharing server, so we have decided to put the PowerMac in the ceiling and the mac mini on my desk.

Can I use a KVM switch to share a monitor and wired mouse and keyboard on a setup like that?

Is there anything I have to look out for? Tips and advice? I've never used a KVM before...

2. Joony macrumors regular

Ceiling? As in mounted literally on our ceiling?

A KVM will work if you get one that has cables long enough to reach both your mini and G5.

A better idea would be to buy a copy of Apple Remote Desktop so that you can manage it remotely, since it is only a file server, and it will allow you to put the G5 even father away if you want. Might as well stick it in the closet!

If you really want to go the KVM route, find one that does USB and the video of your choice, probably DVI?

IO Gear is your best bet for Mac friendly KVMs

3. Kyle Nerder thread starter macrumors regular

Kyle Nerder

Well it turns out Apple Remote Desktop was really what I needed. It works amazing! Thanks