Kyoto is Born

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by swanny, Feb 16, 2005.

1. swanny macrumors regular

swanny

February 16, 2005

Happy Birthday Kyoto

Twas a long "pregancy" geez

a bouncing baby "protocal"

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Who??? :confused:

edit: OK, this I assume. Please don't post things in Current Events without at least a link to a story/article. We aren't mind readers.

3. swanny thread starter macrumors regular

swanny

Opps

Sorry there chief....
    I was on a "call" on my shoe phone
    and passed out from the smell....

opps

4. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

All we have to do now is to convince the Toxic Texan...may take a while.

Oh well, Hilary will be in the white house in a few years and she'll listen.

5. swanny thread starter macrumors regular

swanny

Hearing

Yes its a "hearing" problem I suspect...
    A "deaf" spot...

more info?

Kyoto Protocol Link = http://www.answers.com/topic/kyoto-protocol

6. VincentVega macrumors regular

It's a shame the US, Australia, etc aren't signed up. Still, something's better than nothing.

7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

And an existing institution is more impressive than an idea. Still, we'll see where this goes in time.

8. swanny thread starter macrumors regular

swanny

Pain

No pain....
    No gain....
    or so it is said...

I suspect though at times it is necessary to endure and institute "short term" pain.... For "long term" .... gain....

An unfortuneate reality of national political structures and realities whose mandates are generally only short term and bottom line...

and perhaps the "blessings" afforded by the United Nations
    which has the wisdom, where with all and aspirations to address the long term and big picture realities and issues...

9. Kmacripple macrumors member

Kyoto is not worth anything. Its goal is to reduce carbon emissions by 5.2%. Like that will do anything. Its importance has been vastly overstated by the press.

10. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

We give ourselves too much credit for our pollution and waste. Mother earth has a way of cleansing herself. Our existence on earth is but a short breath in her lifetime.

11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Hey, it's better than nothing.

12. swanny thread starter macrumors regular

swanny

Time

Well true given time Mom will clean up your room eventually
    after the nuclear wastes have subsided which is well
    many years....
    Now mom why do I have to clean up my own mess
    Thats what mothers are for No?

I mean I break it you fix it ..... isn't that the deal?

13. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

Yeah, maybe by bringing on another ice age and making us extinct.

I don't think I want it to get that bad.

14. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Much as I appreciate the sentiment...

Kyoto is a good start from a purely sentimental standpoint but there still needs to be a shift towards carbon sinking from the current focus in too-little-too-late emissions regs.

15. relimw macrumors 6502a

Well, we'll see. The basis for the global warming movement only seems to be the last 250 years, which is just a drop in the time bucket. If you're going to make statements about global warming, at least go back one full ice age revolution. Then I'd be willing to talk about a .25 degree change in temperature.

Obviously the UN shouldn't try anything short term, they always botch it. Can we say Oil-For-Money, er Food anyone?

Btw, as a side note, I saw this article the other day and thought it would be of some interest.

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Hey! Kyoto is one of the most beautiful cities in Japan. Don't say that it's not worth anything.

In the case of the Kyoto Accord, anything downward will help. It won't make things better, but it will make things less worse.

Now, if this country was serious about public transportation, we'd have a better chance.

17. relimw macrumors 6502a

And to think, Orlando's newly re-reproposed light rail system won't be coming all the way out to you, will it? ;)
    Of course, anything would be better than I-4 during rush hour >shivers<

18. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

The problem with Bush's alternative to Kyoto is that it consists of doing nothing. Apparently keeping air breathable and the planet habitable is too much of a burden for US companies. I have yet to hear him produce an alternative plan that actually *reduces* pollution.

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

There won't be an Orlando area light rail system until all of these people stop dragging their feet. None of them have probably spent more than 5 minutes on anything that could remotely be called public transportation and yet, they're all experts.

Where I live, we don't even have bus service. Go a mile in any direction and there is bus service. However, we now have a 4 lane road with bike lanes. I'd invite local people to live in Philly or Tokyo and see how they can get around without a car, every day. :)

20. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

It's entertaining when people make broad claims about what the planet can do while at the same time claiming that there is no way to tell that what we are doing is harmful.

Massive amounts of greenhouse gasses have always been apart of the enviroment haven't they? Oh no? that might changes things?

Oh nevermind, the earth will correct the imbalance. Is that what we want to happen though? Is the correction going to be something that people are going to like?

21. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

This is suicidal reasoning, you know?

When the balance of nature is thrown off, nature finds a way to kill the offender.

We're beyond other life in that we have ways of tricking nature and doing more damage on a vast scale than any other creature. If the cost of this wanton recklessness is the end of most life forms, including our own, should we just shrug it off?

Are you seriously willing to allow the human race to kill itself?

22. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

We are just a blip in time. It's all ok, because looking at the vast amounts of time in the Earth's climate record there must have been other times like these. We all just need to calm down and let Mother Nature and her Seven Sisters take care of it all. Heaven knows we wouldn't want to interfere in their grand scheme.

Oh, for those who don't know the Seven Sisters are also known as Exxon, BP, Chevron, ARCO ... :eek:

23. swanny thread starter macrumors regular

swanny

Rethinking Cities

RETHINKING CITIES

Well all hail the Kyoto Protocol, on this its day of birth.
    It'd be your February 16, 2005 and with much foot dragging it seems
    the Protocol is now Law and in effect.

It is interesting that its basis is on a somewhat economic model, which is understandable in a capitalistic society and world. Credits to pollute are the order of the day and bought and sold as simply another commodity on the global markets perhaps.

Al-righty then but wait.... We have missed the boat somehow I think.
    I think Global warming and CO2 emissions are not the problem but a symptom.
    The real problem would seem to stem from the urban jungles and cities.
    Cities which by design are unsustainable and serve not people but .... whatever.

Hmmmm really??? What is a city then??? Who does it serve and how many?
    Can a city be to big? Can a city be self sufficient? Can a city please all of the people all of the time? Is the city a natural or organic entity or is it a machine or
    processor of some sort? What do we really know about cities anyway?
    They don't seem to have been around all that terribly long and is there perhaps need to investigate what makes a good and sustainable urban area and what do we base this judgment or reasoning on? Is city designing and building a science or an art? What is the history of the city? What makes a good, sustainable healthy and green city?

A lot of questions true but the questions have to be asked I suppose if we are to do more than just treat the symptom rather than address the real problem.

24. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

MORE FROM THE TOXIC TEXAN

Right, Bush won't sign up to Kyoto because of "Bad Science"

With me?

Right.

But he'll invade Iraq because of "Bad Intelligence"

Get where im going? :mad:

Would say Hypocrite but i think i've spelled it wrong.
    (Still need a spell checker on this forum!!)

25. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

I'm of two minds on this one:

On the one hand I'd love to see Humanity get a clue and own up to being the stewards of this planet.

On the other I can only see this happening through climactic catastrophe resulting in a 50% or greater human die-off. We're smart on a small scale but goddamn thick headed about the big stuff until we have dead family members as a result.