L.A. Unified School District Suspends $1 Billion iPad Contract with Apple

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 26, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Los Angeles school district superintendent John Deasy halted the district's iPad contract with Apple in mid-rollout, reports the LA Times. The $1-billion multi-year contract would supply LAUSD students with iPads that were pre-loaded with curriculum from Pearson.

[​IMG]
    The contract was administered in phases with an initial $30-million investment to equip a pilot group of students with iPads. Additional payments totaling almost $1 billion would expand the project to additional students and build out the wireless infrastructure to support tablet usage at the district's schools. Each phase was subject to approval with the option of canceling the project if it no longer met the district's needs.

Deasy's suspension follows criticism of the project rollout and its bidding process, which some claim was modified to favor Apple and Pearson. While issues with securing the iPads surfaced shortly after rollout, the contractual complaints were detailed in a district technology committee draft report that was obtained recently by the LA Times.
    While Deasy responds to these criticisms, the technology program at LAUSD is moving forward with other devices and alternative curriculum being adopted by schools in the district. The district is expected to purchase up to 18,000 laptops with Apple and Pearson invited to bid on this new contract.

Article Link: L.A. Unified School District Suspends $1 Billion iPad Contract with Apple

2. macrumors 6502

sputnikv

That seems like a tremendous amount of money for a school district to have.

3. macrumors 6502

Yeah, given that the bond measure was for school infrastructure and their buildings are crumbling, this is a good move. Also doesn't help that the devices were a trojan horse to get a specific educational publisher's products into the hands of students (at a great cost, of course).

They were also paying $800/iPad, which is just disgusting.

4. macrumors 68040

Gasu E.

640K+ students.

5. macrumors 6502

Suture

I guess I could see where over time (years), this could eventually turn the corner towards saving money vs traditional books. However in the school districts where these have been deployed (I think we even have them up here in Northern VA?) -- have there been any crime events (muggings) associated with this?

6. macrumors 6502

Kind of. It was a special bond measure voters approved to fix the infrastructure of the school system.

7. macrumors regular

I know right, sheesh!!!!

In my school we weren't allowed to step on the grass because it was ''expensive'' to maintain. :eek:

8. macrumors 6502

Suture

Oh geez, $800... that's way too much.

9. macrumors 603

which included the software

10. macrumors 68040

tigres

Hey Apple,

Perhaps consider a volume discount in the future. IDK

11. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

Um... you seem unaware of the cost of other things schools buy that they no longer need to buy, IE, textbooks (did you happen to go to college where you had to actually buy them yourself? One semester can easily go over $800 in books. I think one semester I ended up spending $1050 on books,) and computers.

12. macrumors 6502a

Overpriced Pearson software.

13. JoEw, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014

macrumors 65816

JoEw

the bulk of the price was likely Pearson content, Apple does offer volume education discounts.

14. macrumors 68040

tigres

My point indeed, perhaps for 1b they should be making an exception. Logical, I know.

15. macrumors 65816

MacSince1990

Heh. Imagine if this had happened in the 90s when AAPL was in the single digits.

16. macrumors 68000

And they wonder why the average student can't function in society.

17. macrumors 6502

I'd like to know how successful the pilot program was for actually educating children better. I'm quite skeptical in educators' abilities to use technology effectively for education.

18. macrumors 68000

A book has an 'infinent' lifespan. This software as well as an iPad maxes out at 3 to 5 years.

19. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Not really when you look at head count.
    Pearson has been invited to bid…translation, all other bids will fall short no matter what.

So it is $1 billion today, what about in a few years when new iPads are needed? How long will an iPad last in the hands of a student who likely has no reason to take care of it? Can parents replace it if broken? I believe that is how other schools function, under contract with parents that they will replace it if lost or destroyed. I could be wrong.

20. macrumors 6502

Lazy teachers will delegate teaching to the software.

21. macrumors 6502a

lolkthxbai

1 billion would expand the project to additional students and build out the wireless infrastructure to support tablet usage at the district's schools.

22. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yes, the largest (or close to the largest) school district in the country. They also have a long history of bureaucratic bungling.

23. macrumors 68020

smithrh

Oh, the irony.

24. macrumors regular

Chromebooks
    With google rolling things out like classroom it is very tempting for IT departments at school districts...

25. macrumors 65816

japanime

And yet nobody blinks twice when professional sports teams toss around hundreds of millions on a 25-man roster.