L2 cache on panther

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by stealthelephant, Mar 11, 2004.

1. stealthelephant macrumors newbie

i read a review about the new panther performance and it says that in 10.3 the L2 cache is disabled. i have just bought a new pb albook 15 inchr (first mac) as i really like linux and freebsd (i freakin hate windows! and have not used them in over 4 years and since X is freebsd based and the hardware is really cool looking i decided to splash out and get 1) but do not fancy the prospect of having the cache disabled, is there a way to turn it back on or is it just not true?

2. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

It's just not true. In fact, I don't know of a method to turn off the L2 cache and still have a Mac boot.

3. stealthelephant thread starter macrumors newbie

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I had not heard of that Bug. Interesting. Maybe that will be fixed in 10.3.3. Here's to hoping.

TEG

5. stealthelephant thread starter macrumors newbie

so do u give it any merit? (the report about cache disabling that is)

6. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

not sure. first of all, it's quite old, last Oct. it's on MacBidoulle. i understood about 3/4 of that French but it is just one blurb and there's no mention of other PBs. only 15" Al. interesting... but i highly doubt that L2 cache is disabled in panther. i just can't see how 15" Al would get its performance without it.

what i'd like to have seen on the other report of panther/jaguar comparison are error bars. xbench gives pretty wide range of scores and including error bars would have made the comparison more valid. (and also, without error bars, i'm not so sure if that one test in PB they did supports the rumor of L2 cache disabling bug.) that said, there's no denying that panther is a much improved OS over jaguar...