L2 Cache Settings on 15" Al PB

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jesuisme, Mar 5, 2004.

1. jesuisme macrumors member

Dear All,

I was playing around in the system preferences today and noticed that the setting for my L2 cache was set to zero. I immediatley changed it to 512K and exited preferences. However, I looked at it again later and it had changed back to zero.

I know the 15" Al PB has 512K L2 cache on board. Does this setting affect whether the onboard cache is used or not? I've attached a picture to the message. Also, are those other "NULL indications normal?

Thanks,
    JeSuisMe

Attached Files:

2. weijia macrumors newbie

How did you get to that preference? I don't see it anywhere under system preferences.

3. jesuisme thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for taking a look. If you look under "Other", it is the hardware tab. I've included a picture of my main System Preferences window

Attached Files:

4. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I have 10.3.2 and I can't see that in "other" on my Powerbook - did you add that setting from somewhere else??

5. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

The icons under "other" tend to be add-in prefs. Did you download a special program?

6. jesuisme thread starter macrumors member

I'm running 10.3.2 as well. The only thing that was added to my System Preferences was the MouseWorks control panel (added by installing my wireless Kensington USB Mouse). I haven't made any personal additions to the preferences . I purchased my PB from the online store in January.

7. jesuisme thread starter macrumors member

I'm a recent switcher, so what do you mean by special programs?

Thanks all for the responses :)

8. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Programs that weren't originally included in the OS. I have a MS Optical Mouse - it shows up in the other category too.

You had to have loaded some software title that added itself into the "other" category - maybe a utility tool of some sort.

9. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

what the hell program are you using?
    software can't effect your cache on your cpu.

10. jesuisme thread starter macrumors member

The only hardware I've installed has been that mouse. Other than that, the software I've installed has been:
    Updates from Apple
    TexShop
    X11
    MATLAB
    MS Office X (*^&#!!@# Microsoft, but half the world uses it :mad: )
    Concept Draw Professional Demo
    Omni Graffle Pro Demo
    Acrobat Reader
    Descender (Shareware Tetris program)
    Diablo II, LOD
    Unreal 2004 Demo

If this tab is not standard, then I'll have to figure out which program added it. Any ideas on how to do that?

Thanks!

11. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I know what he's talking about. There's a "hardware" selector in the "Other" section of System Preferences. I think you only get it if you install the developer tools.

Anyway I see exactly the same thing - it's reporting 0 L2 cache.

12. jesuisme thread starter macrumors member

Doh! Forgot about that! :rolleyes: Yeah, I do have the developer tools. Great observation -- this may narrow things down quite a bit :)

When I check "About this Mac", it tells me I "have" a secondary cache. But I'm not sure how make sure it's in use. Is this becoming more of a software issue? :confused:

13. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Relax, it is installed when you install the CHUD package with the developer tools. Having it listed as "none" is normal. Your L2 cache is working just fine. All you have to do is uninstall the CHUD package with the CHUD uninstaller and you can just pretend you never saw it.

14. jesuisme thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, G5! :eek: I haven't really had a chance to play with all the goodies yet, but I think I'll keep CHUD. It looks like it could come in handy once I start hardcore development. I'll just treat the system preference tab as a "feature".

Thanks again to the rest of you for your answers. :cool: