LA Times does iMac/Gateway comparison

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by voicegy, Mar 4, 2002.

1. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Jim Heid, in a special report to the LA Times, is writing about his experience comparing the iMac to the Gateway 500SE with Windoze XP.

(seems there has been a little flurry of activity out there lately with journalists and editorialists either comparing the iMac to or switching over from a Windoze machine for a while)

An overall very fair and balanced report...with more to come in the very near future. My favorite quote:

"You've seen the Gateway, too, or at least you've seen a dozen similar computers. It's a basic beige
    tower, with a display and speakers to match. From a design and engineering perspective, it's as
    unique as a Quarter Pounder."

http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-000014380feb25.story

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

3. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

that's disgusting.....ha ha ha....

but anyway....at least he mentioned that Mhz doesn't mean crap when comparing the 2...

6. voicegy thread starter macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Part 2: Software Comparison

Here's the next part of Jim Heid's special to the LA Times:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-000016167mar04.story

Great quote:

"I use both Macs and Windows XP computers daily, and the Mac is less frustrating, less commercially intrusive and more elegant. Quite simply, it’s a better computer."

The story is also mentioned on Apple.com Hot News Headlines section.

7. Jookbox macrumors 6502

UMMM. first of all, that jim heid guy writes a column called 'Mac Focus' and it's sad that you can't see how brainwashed this guy is (just like a lot of you people). second he compared the $1800 top of the line imac to a cheap gateway that lists for $999. in general, gateways suck, but there are more equally equipped versions, that would have made more sense to compare to.

if the quote "the Windows world is a cacophony of computer makes and models" doesn't automatically make you scream "ok this guy hates windows," i'm not sure if you guys can make it through life while being that ignorant. leave it to a machead to describe free choice in a negative light.

anyway, i think the imac is an awesome computer, but i think someone should make an OBJECTIVE comparison it to an equally priced/equipped pc. what a loser. :rolleyes: