Lachey to get spousal support from Simpson?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Xtremehkr, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Link.

He deserves some sort of payment for putting up with that for so long.

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Anyone who says Lachey doesn't deserve spousal support is supporting a double standard... if Jessica Simpson was the breadwinner in that household, then Nickie Boy should be treated as well as any other "wife" would in a similar situation. ;)

I hope the sex with Jessica was good, Nick...

3. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Im still kinda sad they broke up, I liked watching the newly weds. I was rather surprised how down to earth Nick was. I never would of liked him from his 98 degrees days, but the show showed a different side.

To bad the divorce looks like it going to be messy. He can do much better than her.

4. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

Don't you mean she? I doubt she is as stupid as she looked on their show.
    He is a singer for 98 what? His boy band is dead so is his solo career. Now Jessica is a different story now.

Good for her.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I agree that he should get spousal support. As a woman, that luxury (and it is a luxury not a right) is afforded to all of us. I believe that Nick should be able to live semi-decently despite his lack of fame. Jessica Simpson worked hard for her money, yes. But CA is a common law state and a community property state and therefore, despite what anyone thinks, he is entitled to 50%. If this were a woman it would somehow be more supported. Again, as a woman I disagree with the double standard and I applaud him for taking this stand.

The divorce is indeed a shocker and it is sad. He is good for her and she seemed like she was good to him. But as with fame comes great stress and all he wanted to do was launch something great and new, and all she wanted to do was pull him back down if he stepped away from the house too long. I am not saying it's her fault, but she wasn't exactly innocent.

I think more men should file for support. There are too many divorced men living in 1 bedroom apartments while their wives sit around in the house they built their dreams in.

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed....give him half of everything.....

Bless

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

meh. i couldn't care less.

sad that they are divorcing. any divorce is sad really. but why make a huge deal out of it?

8. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Do you mean the wives sit in the houses the husbands built?

F

9. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Quote:

LOS ANGELES -- The 25-year-old reportedly earned more than $30 million last year.

In the words of Fats Domino, "Ain't that a shame."

10. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Oh man I bet it was

11. vniow macrumors G4

Ugh, I doubt it. Bloody prude.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I agree with Jessica (tee-hee, EDIT: oops, I agree with *our* Jessica. Not Jessica Simpson. Just thought I should clear that up. :)). I think I do. I have mixed feelings about the way divorce law works. But they're not mixed on gender lines. I think don't think gender should be the determining factor in how much support a person gets.

13. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Maybe the court settlement will allow her to provide Nick with a lifelong supply of Chicken of the Sea tuna. I am sure the executives from the company initially wanted to toss her overboard for that classic gaffe, but in the long run they lapped up every possible drop of publicity.

14. Xtremehkr thread starter macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Whenever I caught the show, it seemed like Nick had gotten over her looks and was beginning to feel tortured by her lack of knowledge about even the simplest things.

She was amazingly self centered as well, forgetting to get him a christmas present one year.

That was the episode where he asked for sex three times a week, and she couldn't do that.

I don't think he realized what he was getting into before it happened to him.

15. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

You go Nick! Take that idiot for everything she's got. Take it now while you still can. Its not going to last long I can assure you that. T-n-A will only get you so far and hers is running very short. TAKE IT NOW NICK!!!

16. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

he earned it.

and now that she's already been "had" she can finally act on her hussy tendencies.

everybody wins.

17. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

In more ways than one.

18. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Only if you believe Jessica should get spousal support if the situation was reversed! ;)

(Personally, I don't agree with it. If there are children, then both parents should contribute; otherwise a nice clean break. I don't believe anyone should be paid for having been married to someone. Just my 2c..)

19. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Not sure what you'rew basing that on.. I'm thinking she's EXACTLY as stupid as she was portrayed on the show.

20. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Take the money and run, Nick! With no pre-nup, Nick's going to get half of everything. I wouldnt be surprised if they come to a confidential agreement before everything has to go to court though.

21. Play Ultimate macrumors 6502

wrong...

The problem here is that the non-earning spouse contributes in countless ways to the success of the breadwinner. The classic case has been the wife who works part time while the husband attends medical school. He graduates, gets a great paying job, the wife quits working, and a few years later asks for a divorce. Rightfully so, the degree is just as much hers as it is his. And the courts have agreed. The wife gets spousal support.

The biggest question in this case would be how much contribution Nick made to the success of Jessica. However, without a pre-nup, she's hosed in CA.

22. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Or more accurately - the non-earning spouse may contribute, or not. The law, without a pre-nuptial agreement, seems to assume a significant contribution from the non-earning (or in this case, "lesser earning") spouse. That's one part of what I have a problem with.

The other is the suggestion that supporting one's spouse is something which requires remuneration. I'd have thought it was a rather fundamental part of the institution of marriage, and hardly requires payment. If (in the example above) the couple stayed together, is there any obligation on the husband to give the wife half of his earnings? Not that I'm aware of - so why must it be given if they separate?

This isn't a sexist argument on my part - as in the case above I'd side rather heavily on Jessica's side; though it might have something to do with me being independent & perennially single - the thought of anyone laying claim to half my earnings sounds to me like insanity defined! ;)

23. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Exactly what we men have been saying for years.:rolleyes:

Edit: (to clarify; I'm rolling my eyes at the thought of the situation, not your comment)

24. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern