LAcie -- 1 imp thing plzzz

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by surajnangia, Sep 4, 2006.

1. surajnangia macrumors 6502

Jan 30, 2006

I am planning to buy the lacie mobile hard drive designed by FA porche ( 100 GB) .

I am based in UK . I saw the config in and . i just wanted to know the same harddive in shows 5400rpm and in pixmani shows 4200rpm

Does that mean that pixmania is selling old stock??
    How does rpm make a difference. what is it actually..

Also if someone could recommend me a better site if there,, i live in UK

2. generik macrumors 601

Aug 5, 2005
    Rotations per minute

Basically how fast the hard drive spins, 4200 rpm is quite pathetic in this day and age :eek:
  3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    If one says 4200 rpm, and one says 5400 rpm, then they're definitely not the same HD. ;)

The RPM thing refers to the number of times the harddisk rotates per minute. The faster it rotates, the faster it can retrieve and store data. A 4200 rpm HD is good enough for many laptops, so even if you plan on streaming movies from your HD, the 4200 rpm HD is fast enough. Obviously, the 5400 rpm HD is going to be better, but it depends on your budget.

For these little HDs, I don't think there's gonna be a huge difference in speed either way. You're not going to be using this every day or something, right? If you are, get something much better, like a 200 GB 7200 rpm harddrive.
  4. net26 macrumors member

Aug 30, 2006
    given that it is a mobile drive, it's not all that pathetic, it's more the industry standard, which is slowly making way for the 5400 rpm drives, while 7200 are considered somewhat exotic.

to the OP: again, given that it is a mobile drive, you and I will never notice the difference between the two, this is especially true for mobile drives, connected via USB or firewire. if pixmania offers a better price, I'd take it... but in the end it's up to you :)

5. surajnangia thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 30, 2006
    like i wanna ask that means the one they are selling in pix site is a fake one or something cause the rpm is diff in lacie .com

can anyone recommend me a good site for UK

and also apart from the speed does rpm make any other diif
    i mainly need it to back up data

not for day to day use

6. NATO macrumors 68000

Feb 14, 2005
    Northern Ireland
    Try - They stock LaCie Hard Drives (they're awesome for just about everything else too)
  7. surajnangia thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 30, 2006
    overclockers dosent have the 100 GB hard lacie mobile hard drive

what do i do
    i need it quite urgent
    where do i buy it from
  8. net26 macrumors member

Aug 30, 2006
    for your intended use it doesn't really matter how many rpm it has, buy the cheapest one you can get. also, i doubt the one pixmania has is fake, the enclosure is the same sure enough if it is listed as lacie, design by porsche. the only difference is the hdd itself, probably from an earlier shipment, and it is also possible that pixmania didn't update the specs when they (presumably) got a new shipment (happens often with larger online retailers).

hope this helps

EDIT: it is definitely not fake, as link directly to pixmania... for 82 quid i don't think you can go wrong...