LaCie 160GB Hard-Drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Patmian212, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I just bought a LaCie Porsche 160GB drive@7200rpm and its usb 2.0.
    Im running it on usb 1.1 on my pc (until i get my new mac). I payed 159 euros for it.

Is it a good hard-drive? Is it a good price?

and ps: yes usb 1.1 is slow its taking forever to transfer 15gb from one drive to another.

Also if u have any tips on transfering files(im new to this) they would be apreciated.

2. Zaty macrumors 65816

I own the same drive except mine has a FireWire interface. I only got it recently but AFAIK LaCie drives have a good reputation. As for transferring files, what exactly do you want to know? It's normal that transferring large files on a USB 1.1 connection takes a long time. Here in Switzerland, the price for the drive is about the same.

3. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

I'd say you overpaid. It is significantly cheaper to buy an enclousure and a HD. It is a good external, though, so you won't be disappointed.

I can't really think of any tips for transfering. Perhaps don't forget stuff like email and bookmarks...?????

4. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I have the firewire model just like that. I really like it, and besides a firmware issue because of XP SP2, it's been great

5. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

What firmware issue?

6. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i have the FW version of the same disk/capacity... it's been a little nervous adventure for me...

i tried cloning to it, but never got it to work. i used both carbon copy cloner and superduper and neither worked. also, after i try to partition/clone, things get messed and volumes wouldn't mount all the time...

i've repaird the disk and partitioned after zero'ing the disk. it seems to be working ok now, but i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

i was rather surprised by this since i always thought lacie had a pretty good repuration as Mac friendly...

7. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

There was a compatability issue, in which the drive would never spin down while hooked up, and Windows woulds start saying the disk was corrupt. I had to update it using my brother's iBook, and now it's working fine