Lacie 250GB d2 HD Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shiv, Feb 16, 2007.

1. shiv macrumors member

shiv

Heya Everyone,

I'm not sure if this is in the right area.

I bought the as above mentioned external hard drive at an Osaka store. I was debating between a Buffalo HD and Lacie. With the mostly good reviews on Lacie, I decided to go with it. I could find only a small handful of reviews or feedback about Buffalo hd's these last few weeks. I am using this hd mainly for backing up photos I take.

I've been scanning around the forum for the evening, and I just can't find specific answers to my questions. Sorry if this has been answered somewhere already (maybe send me a link if this is a case please), but here we go:

1) the power adapter plugs from the power brick to the hd box, and from the brick to the power are almost loose. (they wiggle) is this normal?? I would figure a connection coming loose in the middle of a transfer would not be a good thing. Right? right?

Which leads me to question

2) So, I thought I should just test out transfer situations. I plugged in the hd with all the necessary cables ( power and 800 firewire ) and turned it on.

I went to the finder window, and dragged and dropped 4 (total of ~1.3 mb) onto the LACIE DISK icon. Under this LACIE DISK Icon it showed the four test files. After just a second or two, I quickly unplugged the loose power adapter. The warning message of the Removal of a device comes on. I then plug the adapter back in, and the LACIE DISK Icon comes back on, but without the files. I did this test a few more times, a couple of times, the files were there, and a couple of other times they weren't.

My main goal with this test is of course, to see if disconnecting ( accidentally, for example knocking the cable while walking and such ) will affect the transfer, with maybe a loss of files in the process.

So, I guess, if someone might be able to explain to me what is happening with this, that'd be great.

Is this that the files haven't finished transferring, and I am interrupting the transfer on some of my test attempts ( the ones where the files are not on the drive when i reconnect) ?

which leads me to the last question:

3)Is there a utility that's with Lacie on the c.d. that lets me see transfer process? Is there something I have to activate/install a program before using this hd?

Thanks Anyone and All who can give me some feedback here.

--->UPDATE: I just did another test. I copied a folder with 92 images at 1.3gb to the hard drive. It had a progress window up, and took about 30 seconds I think to copy to the drive. After doing this, I unplugged (msg or device removal came up ) and then I plugged back in and it was fine. Interesting?

2. Porco macrumors 68020

Porco

I happen to have the exact model you have bought, and my power adapter is not loose. There is a slight 'wiggle' but not what I would call 'loose'.

I would try pushing the loose power plug in more to see if it's just stiff because it's new. If it's still loose then take it back and try another one, maybe in the place you bought it to save you another trip if the replacement is the same).

Interrupting the power while you have the drive connected is not good, and your test could have already theoretically damaged the drive I think. Certainly don't keep it if it's faulty, it's not worth it. Also, I would advise you verify (and repair if necessary) the disc in Disc Utility.

3. shiv thread starter macrumors member

shiv

Hi Porco,

Again thanks for the info here.
    The two plugs have, yes a wiggle to them. If I leave them be, then the connection is fine, but if I were to trip against the wires, hypothetically, they would come out. If I were to wiggle the wall plug in side, that connects to the power block, that would trip the power.

4. Porco macrumors 68020

Porco

shiv, see PM. (short version: I don't think that amount of 'wiggle' sounds right, I'd take it back).

5. shiv thread starter macrumors member

shiv

K Well, took it back, and it went well.
    I wasn't plugging it the ends in hard enough. Glad I went, so I could at least have the employee give it a go, without me risking making some damage, not knowing how hard to go on it.

Porco, thanks alot for your help on the connecton prob, and for the heads up about disconnecting the drive.

Will keep it in mind for the future!

6. shiv thread starter macrumors member

shiv