LaCie 250GBs and RAID

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by quidire, Aug 19, 2004.

1. quidire macrumors 6502

quidire

Hello all

First off I speak from ignorance; I am a Intel/Linux user about to switch, and considering my order to apple as we speak (2x2.5gHz, I'm never going to get my computer, am I? :( )

I am considering buying 4 of the lacie 250gb "porsche designed" drives, and using them in a raid setup. I've always used Raid 4, where you get (n-1)xdrivesize capacity in exchange for some fault tolerance (as opposed to Raid 1/1+0/0+1 (n/2), and raid 0 (n, but oh dear the risks))

Am I correct in understanding that RAID 4 and RAID 5 are not supported by Mac OS X? (Yes, I use software RAID; unless someone can show me a parallel-channel Firewire hardware RAID card for less than $300)... How about RAID 10 (aka 1+0)?

-RS

2. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

From what I understand (and i'm not a know-it-all), you cannot raid firewire drives at all. That's the reason i haven't bought external solutions for backup. I'm really pissed about this, as you can only put 2 hdrives in a G5 (although there are kits to put hardives in other locations... if you ordered the 6800 ultra, those choices are even furthur limited..) I would recommend a SCSI external enclosure solution for RAID. Why? because it's your only option for external RAID on a mac.