Lacie 500GB drives are Kernel crashing my dual G5 systems...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by joneshouse, Jul 14, 2005.

1. joneshouse macrumors newbie

Sep 3, 2004
    I have been having serious problems with Tiger and Lacie external hardrives (big disk 500 GB's)... if anyone else is experiencing these problems, please comment here or on the Apple discussions thread.

Copying folders and files over to the Lacie drives is causing unpredictable kernel panics. I have tested absolutely everything imagineable. Nothing.

Both Apple and Lacie tech are giving those of us experiencing the problem... the serious run-around. They're playing it like they don't have a clue as to what's going on, when clearly they must. If they don't, that says even more about them - not in a good way.

Please visit the Apple discussions thread (see link)...!_sup=y&_uo=y&keywords=Carson%20Jones

2. Krazykrl macrumors member

Jul 15, 2005

We stopped using the LaCie 500 and 1TB disks because of serious corruption issues. I have not seen the same issues on smaller disks like an 80 or 250. However the 'Bigger Disk' like the 500 and more have been very problematic.

Also, this is the case on both Mac AND PC, so, my suggestion would be to ditch the LaCie Bigger Disk for now.
  3. YS2003 macrumors 68020

Dec 24, 2004
    Finally I have arrived.....
    Does anyone know the reason for this problem with LaCie's bigger disk? I have no complain with my LaCie triple interface 160 GB and 250 GB external HDs. I like its performance and very sturdy exterior (if you through this at a person's face, you will knock him over easily or kill him; watch out for Russel C. when he is testy with that HD in his hand). I am curious to know why LaCie's larger external HDs are getting bad marks from many users.
  4. MacTruck macrumors 65816

Jan 27, 2005
    One Endless Loop
    Have the same problem with my USB 2.0 enclosures. SUCKS!

Does the LACIE use a VIA chipset?
  5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    The Bigger Disk boxes I've seen have Oxford 922-based bridge boards, and that's a chipset that should induce fear in any OS X user. I honestly don't understand the love affair with Oxford, they're evil.

(and it appears that the newer LaCie boxes have Oxford 912. Hmm.)
  6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    There was a suggestion that the problem was in the power supplies, that they were cutting out and causing data loss, crashing or disappearing drives.
  7. joneshouse thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 3, 2004
    Latest update from an Apple Certified Repair dept...

Here is the latest report from a third party Apple Certified Repair dept...

Basically, the kernel panics boil down to this recipe:

1 PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0. RAM configuration is not essential in replicating the problem
    1 LaCie Bigger Disk 500GB.
    1 Firewire Connection. 400 or 800 provides the same results.

The problem will happen in OS X v10.4.0, 10.4.1 and 10.4.2. While performing data transfers of over 100GB from the internal SATA drive to the LaCie 500GB external. Kernel panics vary in time but are almost guaranteed to happen. The Finder stopped responding as a result of this transfer, as well.

I have not been able to replicate the problem using any of our non-LaCie in-house drives.

Please note that this is happening on two separate systems, both with the same hardware models and both under the same circumstances. It seems to be a problem specifically related to the Lacie drives.

Anyone else experiencing this problem, please post.