Lacie and powermac G5

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bhagiratha, Nov 25, 2005.

1. bhagiratha macrumors newbie

bhagiratha

I am trying to upgrade the superdrive in my powermac 2.5 G5 with a DL drive with lightscribe. Boy am I having a difficult time finding something that will work.

I came across a few, they are:
    1. HP 640i DL w/lightscribe (q6766a)
    2. HP DVD740VI
    3. Lacie 300980 Internal drive.

I personally like the Lacie internal DL drive, but it says that the interface is IDE. If am not mistaken, I don't think the G5 uses an IDE interface.

Has anyone use or has any experience with this drive on a G5 system?

thank you.

2. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

the G5's optical drive is IDE, I replaced my combo drive with a superdrive from another machine and it worked fine. can't comment on the lightscribe drive though sorry. maybe try xlr8yourmac.com though

3. bhagiratha thread starter macrumors newbie

bhagiratha

Thanks for the response. but when I check in the system profiler for my current configuration is get this:

ATA Bus:

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-107D:

Model: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-107D
    Revision: A707
    Detachable Drive: No
    Protocol: ATAPI
    Unit Number: 0
    Socket Type: Internal

Don't the IDE have different pins than the ATAPI ... or am I just loosing my mind. (maybe am thinking of the cables for the hard drives.)

Please clarify .... regards

4. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

ATAPI=IDE afaik
    i have a benq DVD DD DW1625 (quite a mouthful :eek: ) that i've had no problems with and is fast, reliable, no coasters except by user error, etc. i don't do much lightscribe burning with it but when i do it looks great. i think you can get it at newegg, zipzoomfly, etc. and possibly in some shops. i think i paid ~$60 this summer. i got the oem version which comes with nero express for pc, but nothing for mac :(

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked