LACIE BIGGER DISK: Noise Level Too High?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by redAPPLE, Aug 17, 2004.

1. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

does anyone have the LACIE BIGGER DISK (1 TB)? i have one for video editing and backup. but! it is quite noisy for my taste. i tried updating the firmware, but the firmware says i have the latest version. how can i keep the noise level low? anyone have any idea?

2. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Can't you buy a longer FW cable and hide it in a cupboard or something?

3. redAPPLE thread starter macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

sure that would be a solution but placing it in a cupboard would generate more heat and destroy the drive, no?

4. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Nah. A cupboard should provide enough airflow for a single hard drive. Unless you noticed the cupboard air temp rising above 100 degrees, it should be fine. If it was too hot, maybe a closet? Or a sibling's bedroom? In the basement next to the water heater?
    good luck!

5. redAPPLE thread starter macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

how long is the longest fw800 :eek: i could buy? and about buying, where would be the cheapest place?

6. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I doubt that you would find a cord longer than 15 ft. The biggest problem is shielding. The data is so volatile traveling through the cord that it can get corrupted real fast in long cords. It shouldn't mess up your files, but you may notice a drop in speed.

Here's a 14 foot cable for $42.75.

7. osprey76 macrumors 6502

I generally agree, but remember you have a single enclosure with, I'm guessing, two or four drives in it.

As mentioned above, I think FW800 cord lengths are pretty restrictive. Perhaps you can put something between you and the drive just so it doesn't have clean line of sight (or sound).

8. redAPPLE thread starter macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

any idea if they ship let us say worldwide? they ship from canada i guess.

9. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

Can't you get a Fibre Option FW800 cable, that is really long? Like over 50ft? I remember reading that somewhere.

10. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

The LaCie is a four drive unit, and does get fairly warm just sitting on the desktop. And the noise isn't as bad as one would think. It's just slightly louder than the typical one-drive units such as Maxtor. The thing is heavy, so you could also use it as a paperweight.

EDIT: Read your post wrong. We have 2 of these and they aren't that noisy. It's noticeable, but not irritating. Maybe one of your drives is on its way out?