LACIE D2 Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eXan, Oct 7, 2006.

1. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Recently I've become running out of HD space on both my iMac and my 60 gig iPod, so I started looking for a good external HD. What I found was that there's almost no choice of HDs here :eek:

I found one HD that I think is good, it is LACIE D2 Hard Drive 160 GB 7200RPM.

Its not very expensive (compared to other medels) and has support for FW400, while most of other have only USB 2.0

Is this drive good? Maybe some one even has experience with it, I would like to hear your opinions on this HD.

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I have the same Hard Drive and I've had it for about 19 months. It's very reliable and works just fine. A friend has two 120 Gig LaCies that he's had for over 4 years. They're in constant use as he uses them to store his iTunes library and he has over 100 gigs of music. Believe it or not, it's all legal!

LaCie's triple interface models are a little more expensive than those that offer only USB2 but I think it's worth it. When I first got mine I tried out the USB2 and it seemed to be slower than Firewire.

3. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

About 15 months with my 250gb d2 - no problems. I like the FW400/800 feature.

4. eXan thread starter macrumors 601

eXan

Yes, I was searching for the FW400 drive (dont have FW800) because USB is too slow for hard drives, privides much less power and I dont have spare USB 2.0 ports :eek:

5. Gosh macrumors 6502

Yes, mine is fine too - quick, quite quiet and looks well!

It was recommended to me at the Apple Store and most of the review have been positive from use and reliability pov.

Only down side as with most HD's is security. I create encrypted image file to keep my personal stuff in.

6. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

I have a Big Disk Extreme, and very happy with it so far.

7. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

I currently have a LaCie d2 Hard Drive Extreme with Triple Interface (250GB). It's nice having the FW800 port which is all I use. I just bought yesterday online the LaCie mini 250GB companion. It looks just like the Mac Mini and is stackable. So I think I'll just continue buying those when I need more space because of their stackableness :) $150 for 250GB.. not bad. It's only FW400, but that's okay. I'll daisy chain it to my other drive too. I'm excited to get it but was notified this AM it is on back order and won't ship for 7-10 days. Which is okay.

Check it out:
    http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10476

This LaCie Bricks HDs look cool (like LEGO's) but who wants to use USB?
    http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10695

8. bdj33ranch macrumors regular

I've had the 250GB d2 triple interface for over a year now. No problems at all. Very quiet and unobtrusive. Got mine thru the Lacie factory 'clearance corner' on their website. Good deal - but the warranty is for only 90 days that way.

9. eXan thread starter macrumors 601

eXan

Thank you for the replys guys :)

After a third though :)D) I realized that I can live for now with 4.5 gigs free on my iMac and 5GB on iPod. Anyway this drive to too expensive for me (I have 2/3 of its cost) and I dont want to ask my parents to help me financically on this one :)

Maybe later, when I will not be able to live without free space on HDs I'll buy it, but not now.

10. Mundy macrumors regular

Be sure to check out Other World Computing's line of EliteAL FireWire/USB 2 hard drives. I used to buy Lacie drives for most of my clients when they were in need of more external storage, but lately I've been buying the OWC drives. They come with excellent warranties, Seagates drives, and it doesn't hurt that the aluminum enclosures are a perfect match for PowerMac G5s and Mac Pros. I'm using a 250GB model right now as a backup drive.

You can see the drives here: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/1394/USB/EliteAL/

11. eXan thread starter macrumors 601

eXan

OWC doesnt sell stuff where I live... ;)

12. Steve Jobless macrumors 6502

if it helps any my school's sole mac(G5 Power MAc for video productions) uses a lacie for its external HD.