Lacie D2 HD

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by OutThere, May 16, 2003.

1. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I returned a 80 GB d2 HD a week ago since it crashed...when I got a new one on warranty it makes a rather annoying, pretty faint, high pitched whistling, buzzing sound when its on. It doesn't have a fan. Should I be concerned about it or just get used to the sound (its soft enough that you can't hear it 3 ft. away. Any input would be welcome. Thanks

2. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Sounds like something wrong with the drive if the previous one didn't do it. However, sounds like that are normal for some drives. My sister's Ruby iMac DV makes a noise similar to the one you're describing, and like the D2 it has no fan.

3. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-OutThere761

All HD's have a whine to them. The faster ones tend to have a stronger whine.

The D2 should be a 7200 rpm drive. Well, that being said, I have three 7200 rpm drives in my PowerMac and when they spool up it sounds like some kind of futuristic antigravity machine powering up. And once spooled, there's a constant high-frequency whine, that seems to only be heasrd withing 5 or-so feet.

I wouldn't worry about it unless there are performance problems.

4. OutThere thread starter macrumors 603

OutThere

thanks for the input--i just wanted to make sure it was all OK and i'm assured now, thanks!