Lacie d2 or Porsche

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by word385, Feb 15, 2004.

1. word385 macrumors newbie

I'm looking into buying an external hard drive, and I've narrowed the decision down to either the Lacie d2 or Porsche Firewire Drives (250GB, 8MB Cache models).

The d2 featuers FW800 + USB 2.0, but weighs in at a realatively hefty 3.3lbs while having some sizeable dimesions. The Porsche only has FW400, but is 1.9lbs and significantly smaller. I guess my question is this - besides the interface differences, what are the real differences between the two models? The d2 seems to be marketed as more professional, but is that just hype?

2. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I think the main difference is just aesthetic appeal...the porsche is much smaller and more stylish....i have a d2, 120 GB....and I'm happy with it...plus it was cheaper!

3. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Go with the D2 FW800. The biggest, and only important reason, is that the FW 800 has 8 megs of cache, versus 2 megs for both the Porsche, and the D2 FW 400 models.

The Porsche matches the new G5s better -- but if you are doing serious video work you'll like the bigger buffer. If you are not, either model will be fine.

Too bad the Porsche doesn't come in a FW 800 model -- maybe soon, afterall its only the enclosure that is different, isn't it?

4. word385 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've heard someone say that the chipsets are different (d2 is better), but I don't know how significant that is.

5. cmx08 macrumors regular

like Viewsonic's Optiquest

Porsche is a lower quality item and you don't get to pay the actually name La Cie

just like Viewsonic's low quality displays. Optiquest or something like that.

I had the chance to hold one on friday and the top is cheap plastic, cheater than ibook in my option.

sounded that it was about to crack but the bottom is solid.

Looked to me easier to open. u just remove the plastic cover that covers all but the base.

I'm still looking forward to hold a d2 tho

F800 not worth it if u don't do video edition projects.

even if u do, it is still not UNLESS

you are a pro editor that makes lager projects.