LaCie D2 vs. OWC/Mercury

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Le Big Mac, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I'm looking to buy an external hard drive. Seen good things about both the Lacie and the OWC. Anyone care to make a head-to-head comparison? Lacie seems to get lots of raves, OWC not quite as many. Have at it! Thanks.

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

3. Le Big Mac thread starter macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Thanks, Duff-Man. Hadn't seen that . . . kind of odd that they compare the 200GB Lacie to the 400GB Mercury (and other sizes of other drives). Dunno if size matters in terms of performance (I would think bigger would be slower, if anything). Don't much care about USB.

4. Le Big Mac thread starter macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

One more question. The Lacie manual makes clear I can daisy chain the drive with FW400 devices by using a 9-6 pin FW cable. Since I'm using a G4 iMac with only FW 400 ports, I'm going to have to connect an 800 port on teh drive to a 400 port on the iMac, and then use the 400 port to daisy chain in my iPod (leaving the other iMac 400 port for DV in).

The Mercury isn't so clear, and talks about speed degradation (well, I'm not expecting FW 800 speeds when all I have is FW400 ports). Can I do the same thing with the Mercury?