LaCie external DVD burner --Toast?!?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TaKashMoney, Mar 1, 2006.

1. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

Jul 15, 2005
    Hey ive searched through the many threads about external dvd burners and have decided on a Lacie. I have an iBook 12" 1.33ghz and am looking for the best external burner for the price. I'm seeing a huge increase in price if it comes with Toast. Whats the benefit? Do I need this? I pretty much just want to burn iDVD and maybe backup. Also, would anyone recommend a portable one over a desktop one. I dont plan on taking it with me often, but will a portable one be considerably smaller?
  2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Toast is the by far best burning software out there, so if you don't already own it, and the bundle makes it cheaper that buying Toast separately ($79 directly from roxio, even cheaper if you shop around a bit), I would recommend you got it... you will not regret it... :)

Make sure the bundle offers Toast 7 and not just version 6, which I've seen some places... Version 7 has a lot of features 6 never had...

Edit: A portable one will be much smaller, but also more expensive. I would get a small desktop, one... like this one I got for christmas (very cheap, unfortunately no longer available at AppleStore), which is small enough to take with me, if I ever want to do that... :)