LaCie external hardrives

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Danrose1977, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Danrose1977 macrumors regular

Danrose1977

Does anyone have any experience of these? I was thinking of picking up a 160Gb model for storing movies, mp3's and archived work documents. Can anyone confirm that its a solid reliable piece of kit to back up on to?

Cheers,

Dan

2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Yes, Lacie drives have a very good reputation - USB 2.0 and FW800 are available on some models too.

3. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

i've asked around quite about for FW HD advice and have settled on a LaCie D2 120 gig drive. I haven't picked it up yet, but I've only heard good things.

4. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I have a 120 for editing, and backup. It's superb. I'm drooling over the terabyte one though.

5. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

i always wondered why Lacie why not any other drive maker? what makes them so special?

6. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i guess it is the reputation that comes with the name.

7. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

One thing I noticed about a friend's LaCie, was how silent it was. It was completely silent, at least compared to my WD hard drive in a generic FW case.

8. logicat2001 macrumors regular

It's called marketing.

LaCie otherwise shops around for their drives and purchases from all the major vendors: Hitachi, Samsung, Maxtor, WesternDigital.

That's because their entire "d2" line of cases (the current LaCie aluminum case w/blue power light) are fanless. You can buy any fanless drive and it will be "just as quiet" as your friend's LaCie.

9. goglamosh macrumors member

Lacie D2 drives are awesome. If you buy one, look at www.buy.com. I got the 160 GB version for $156.00 after a coupon with free shipping. Do a google search for promotional coupons if you buy one.

10. zoetropeuk macrumors regular

2 * 500gb

I have two of the 500gb FW800 external drives and boy are they fast. 70mb files open in Photoshop CS on a Dual G5 instantly. But they are very noisy. I have a Dual 1.42mdd sitting beside the G5 and the two drives beside the that and the only thing I can hear are the drives.

I've tried most drives on the market and apart from the Barracudas the only other drives I'd recommend are from Lacie.

11. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

I have one... Not only is it very reliable, it's very quiet... I had a Western Digital that took a crap on me & to tell you the truth I was happy... That thing was soooo loud... I highly recommend Lacie external HD's for their reliability & other intangibles that may not seem important now, but will once you plug it in & realize you just hate the sight of that noisy ass thing...lol..

12. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

hey thanks for the tip! i wonder why they have the 160 for so cheap? is it an older model or something?

13. barren macrumors newbie

Also check your local compusa. They had the Lacie Porche design 250GB USB 2.0 for 199 the last time I was in. I have the 80GB that I got from Dell for 90 odd with a coupon and it works great, very quiet and super fast!

14. numediaman macrumors 6502a

I have a LaCie HD and it has a power supply issue. Every once in a while I have to give the thing a swift kick, or I take out a heavy ruler and swot it. I find it endearing -- like owning a '68 Ford.

(Do you think LaCie will use the above post in their advertisements?)

The above drive is many years old now. I think it is 6 gigs in size and cost about the same as the 160 gig drives do now. By the way, I plan on buying a LaCie 200 gig FW800 drive for use with Final Cut Pro when I purchase my new G5.

15. numediaman macrumors 6502a

I have a LaCie HD and it has a power supply issue. Every once in a while I have to give the thing a swift kick, or I take out a heavy ruler and swot it. I find it endearing -- like owning a '68 Ford.

(Do you think LaCie will use the above post in their advertisements?)

The above drive is many years old now. I think it is 6 gigs in size and cost about the same as the 160 gig drives do now. By the way, I plan on buying a LaCie 200 gig FW800 drive for use with Final Cut Pro when I purchase my new G5.

16. raytube macrumors member

17. cornfedgrowth macrumors member

Hey, I bought the 250GB Porsche HD about a month ago. The first one i got was dead on arrival. The drive would turn on but wouldn't show up on the computer. ANYWAY. lacie tech support was pretty good. We eventually detirmined that it was a bad drive and i had to send it back. BUT i got my replacement and it worked right away and has been wonderful ever since. soo anyway. i would recommend LaCie.

18. mtorbin macrumors member

I have almost a a terabyte of external LaCie drives that I use. For those of you who are new to this and are possibly considering doing digital video work, there is something you should consider. For FCP users, you will need a LaCie drive that is rated at 7200 RPMs or higher to handle real time video playback over firewire. If you have a regular LaCie drive, this will NOT work with video and will cause studdering.

Other than that, I love my LaCie's...

- MT

19. goglamosh macrumors member

this is the d2 model with firewire connection. it isn't and older model. it is a good deal.

20. BaDBoY macrumors member

I have one of those D2 FW800 250 GB drives.

The big difference between the 200 GB and the 250 GB D2 drives is that the 200 GB and lesser models have only 2MB cache buffer as the 250 GB has an 8MB cache buffer, not to mention an extra 50 GB :p. If you cant afford a 400GB - 1 TB drive, i suggest you get a 250 GB... but try to find a deal on it... this thing retails at ... i believe