LaCie External HD nose??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JW8725, Aug 14, 2005.

1. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

May 8, 2005

I have one of those 400 gig d2 Big Disk Extremes via firewire 400 to my mac mini. I've noticed that very frequently on idle (i.e. when im not doing anything on the computer or when no apps are actively running e.g. like a movie on Quicktime) the HD decides to make a strange churning noise. Its a different kind of sound to hard drive seek or write. Strange thing is when it becomes active from idle i.e. when I load an app up the sound stops? Do I have rats in there? :confused:
  2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    More like ears, it would seem...

There are three sounds a drive normally makes:
    Motor spinning the platters -- this one ramps up when you turn it on and should remain constant (we hope!!)

Head accessing data -- this varies from drive to drive, it may be a chunking sound or a chirping sound. This is direct relationship to disk access activity, and you should get to know it quite quickly

Fan noise -- Also starts when the drive starts up. Most cases have single speed fans that are on all the time, I don't know if the LaCie has a thermostatically controlled fan.

A churning noise on idle... dunno, I would look for background processes on the Mini, maybe indexing, or some scanning thing that operates on idle time? Folding?
  3. Arnaud macrumors 6502

May 24, 2005
    The Moon
    Mmm, also bought a La Cie Big Disk Extreme (as 250 Gb only) last week, and I have the same comment. With no reason, when left alone, it sounds like some pieces are falling apart inside... (Rats with a screwdriver ?).
    Apart from that, it works all fine, and makes the normal noises when sollicitated for normal tasks :)
    I've also got a La Cie Big Disk 300 Gb (not Extreme), and it doesn't make this change-a-flat-tire noise...
  4. combatcolin macrumors 68020

Oct 24, 2004
    Northants, UK
    I have a 500GB Lacie triple Interface drive and it sometimes makes weird clcking noise too.

Apart from that every thing is fine, the light glows a lovley blue and when you turn it on with the lights off it it flashs quickly and (almost) fills the room.

Yes, i know - sad :eek:
  5. Arnaud macrumors 6502

May 24, 2005
    The Moon
    Uh, that's where a First Aid come handy ? Or a piece of Post-It ?
    Might ruin the sleek design tough... :)