Lacie External HD

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Espnetboy3, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

Feb 1, 2003
    I had just bought a Lacie slave drive(160gig) for my powermac g4. It mounts on my desktop whenever i turn my computer on for the first time, although if i eject the mount and turn off the drive and then later on decide to turn it back on it wont mount. Or if i put my computer to sleep and wake her up then sometimes it wont mount again i have to reboot. Once again any help will be apreciated thanks.
  2. noahsnyc macrumors regular

Sep 27, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I've had similar issues with a LaCie drive. I tend to find that it isn't a problem if you unplug the drive after ejecting. I use an iBook, so when I'm at home, the drive is connected and when I leave, I simply eject and disconnect the drive. This seems to really "tell" the drive when it's connected and when it isn't, the combonation of ejecting and disconnecting.

Obviously, you should repair permissions on the drive and possibly make sure that your firmware is up-to-date. It took me a few weeks before checking the LaCie site to find that indeed my firmware was out-dated and could have been an issue.

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    Instead of wearing down the Firewire port, you could just go into Disk Utility and manually mount it if it doesnt auto-mount.
  4. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 1, 2003
    thanx alot eddie and noah , i havent repaired permissions in a while and i should try to manually mount and check out the lacie site .
  5. point665 macrumors regular

Jun 27, 2004
    I have a Lacie 120 Gig external, I use a iBook and my drive is always on since I store around 60 gigs of audio on there, but when I know I wont be using it for a while I just eject it, shut it down by pressing the blue button all the way back (something weird about that button) and when I get back just power it on with the button, never have to unplug it or anything.
  6. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

Jan 15, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Just leave the thing on 24/7. I never ever turn mine off unless im swithcing computers and i see absolutely no reason to.