Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alte22a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2003
back in London
Ok guys went to Apple Expo Paris, yesterday, it was so cool. Bought my self a Lacie FW 4XDVD +/-R, plug it in and use iDVD no joy, my dual mac didnt see it. Took the thing to work and DVD SP2 sees it but hangs when writing to it. I've looked around the web and everyone seems to point out at an OSX 10.2.7 update....

Is there anyone having teh same problem?

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
Re: Lacie FW DVD +/-R Not working HELP!!

Originally posted by Alte22a
Ok guys went to Apple Expo Paris, yesterday, it was so cool. Bought my self a Lacie FW 4XDVD +/-R, plug it in and use iDVD no joy, my dual mac didnt see it. Took the thing to work and DVD SP2 sees it but hangs when writing to it. I've looked around the web and everyone seems to point out at an OSX 10.2.7 update....

Is there anyone having teh same problem?

I thought Apple restricted writing DVD's to the internal SuperDrive. Their thought behind this was anybody could buy a CDROM with their Mac, and use a 3rd party DVD writer. This would take revenue from them, so they disabled external DVD writing in their apps.

Anyone heard of this?

Alte22a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2003
back in London
that would sort of make sense, but I have an old Dual 500 it came with DVD RAM, if I wanted yo burn DVD i had to go and buy an external one like now, GOD its annoying. Well have to waitand see. Anyhow toast sees it and I can write data so guess thats not too bad eh..

Alte22a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2003
back in London
link

Hey guys I found a hack for the Lacie 4XDVD -/+R, RW. It works I can use it just like a superdrive now. One happy Mac user problem solve, hope this helps anyone whos bought one of these drives. I can sleep now....

Alte22a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2003
back in London
OSX 10.2.8 update

Just updated today, been waiting for this for ever, well since last wednesday. Anyway my LAcie drive works much better since the update.. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.