LaCie Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by tembusu, May 11, 2005.

1. tembusu macrumors newbie

I am thinking of buying an external hard drive and have narrowed down to either a LaCie Hard Drive (Porsche) or Seagate or Iomega. Size 160 or 200 GB with a USB2.0. To be used with Mac and PC. Any recommendatoins?

2. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Lacie triple interface is cool.

Bit pointless if you don't have fw800 though.

Get a drive that has FireWire and USB 1+2, handy if you lug it around anywhere.

3. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i wouls say try and get a firewire 400 one if possible. firewire lends itself to external hard drives so much better

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i agree, firewire can sustain that transfer rate whereas usb only tansfers in highspeed in burst

at the least get a firewire/usb combo just to be safe and have compatibility, not hard to find either, and Lacie is a very good brand, highly recommended around here

5. tembusu thread starter macrumors newbie

If I go for a LaCie Hard Drive, it is either USB or Firewire and the only way to go for a combo is their d2 which cost USD60 more for a 200GB whilst a Iomega is USD25 more. Getting the USD2 is more a convenience for my PC

6. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i agree, lacie are very good drives. both my friend and myself have one (i have the d2,my friend the firewire porsche) and we have had no problems with them (touch wood!)

7. tembusu thread starter macrumors newbie

If I am to use the LaCie for Mac and PC can I just format the hard drive as a FAT and will a MAC and PC be able to read and write to the drive. Also is there any limitations formatting the hard drive as a FAT drive?

8. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I have the porsche 160gb usb2 formated in fat32 which works flawlessly with a mac and pc.

9. tembusu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, will most likely get the LaCie porsche 160GB with a USB connection

10. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I've got the same drive. Works great now that I have the fixed Silverkeeper backup utility for Tiger :)

11. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Hmm, wonder which way you voted eh Russed?

"The Ladys not for turning" Beat that Blair!