Lacie Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bluetorch18, Nov 3, 2006.

1. bluetorch18 macrumors regular

2. rob5 macrumors regular

lacie's have a lot of problems - peoples keep dying, do a search here for more info. your best bet is to either purchase a HD and encosure yourself, or get a better one. www.macsales.com - their mercury line is really good and they use seagate drives.

3. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I have the 200GB version of that model. No problems to speak of. Only thing was that once the power supply went out, but that was replaced with ease (was still in warranty). I would say LaCie d2 drives are very reliable IMO. Although those Big HDs LaCie makes, I've read complaints about those. But the d2s are fine in my experience. :)

4. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I now have seven of them, 250GB to 2TB. I have used them for 2 1/2 years. I have never had a failure, and only 1 issue. The first 1TB had a noisy fan if it was next to you. That is it. I am going to add another 2TB in the next couple weeks.

5. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

WOW, a lot of people on these boards have issues with Lacie drives. Thats fair enough but for every person that says they are prone to failure and what not, there will always be other people to counter that point of view.

I have 2 160GB models, FW 400 and I have had no problems with either, one of them is over 2 years old as well.

6. islandman macrumors 6502

Quite a few people on these boards have had issues with that LaCie lately, but I think they're fine. I agree, however, that you might be better off buying an enclosure and putting in your own drive. That way, you can buy a reliable hard drive(Seagate) and have more peace of mind.

7. hotboiled macrumors member

i have a lacie ethernet 250gig disk
    its running for 1 jear now constantly (sonos :cool: music storage) no problems, no crashes, no failure

8. Karlchen macrumors member

they work fine...

I got a d2 200GB Triple Interface at home for 3 years now, which has worked fine without any problems. So I bought a second one for work this year (250GB). The new one is a lot faster on the FW800 than the older one, and really silent. The newer one is configured for USB-use with a windooze PC and for FW using my Powerbook. I am sattisfied with both buys.. never had any problems so far.

9. Locatel macrumors regular

Lacie makes a great enclosure, but you never know wich HD is inside. I've seen Lacie d2s with Maxtor, Samsung and Seagate. Their product is covered by a 1 year warranty.
    Mercury Elite Pro Aluminum units are mounted with the latest Seagate drives. The unit is covered by a 2 year warranty PLUS 3 year warranty for the drive, directly from Seagate (the drive itself is covered by a 5 year warranty). I don't think you'll find a better deal than this, and they cost about the same.
    Check it out: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/1394/USB/EliteAL/800+USB2/
    The 320GB unit is the best in terms of cost/GB (in this price range).

10. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

You know since the opinions of whether LaCie is good or bad seems to be split down the middle, I'm wondering if the brand of the hard drive inside them makes a difference. I'm not sure which brand of HD is mine though. But maybe it's a particular brand that bad drives (or the good drives) have in common? Of course this is all in regards to the d2 drives. I've read reviews on Apple's store that those Big drives (the 1/1 TB ones) go bad after 1 1/2 years or so. Odd.

11. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

I have 2 d2's, no problems in the couple of years I've had them.

12. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

13. DJTJ macrumors regular

2 triple interface 250's... both failed within 2 yrs. :( Looking for a new one as we speak. 3 of my buddies have all failed too. We use them all for music storage as we are all dj's... must be some sorta curse ;)

14. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

BTW - I have read a lot of praise for the Seagate drives here, and some have even suggested they do not fail. Well, I have replaced 4 of them since 8/15. One was a SATA, less then 6 months old, the rest were SCSI e320's. These drives definitely get in your wallet big time.

15. DEXTERITY macrumors 6502a

I actually have two Lacie 250 gb drives (the ones OP asked about) and never had a problem. I have an older Lacie HD on my old G4 from a long time ago ( 4 or 5 years) and never had a problem. I use one of the Lacies for my pro tools sessions and never have speed issues or anything.. so they get some abuse..

I also have 2 500gb Mercury Elite Pro HD's and never
    had a problem with those either. I actually are hooked on those now since
    I have the piece of mind that it has a seagate HD, supposedly better for audio, has a faster oxford chip and a longer warranty. Their customer support is great as well. Now I need to go knock on some wood...Thank you to whomever on this forum suggested these externals to me..

16. deathjux macrumors newbie

Most of the problems people are having are due to the fact that in LaCies "big" drives (the dual-drive enclosures) they use the same power supply as in the single-drive enclosures, so you end up frying the power supply over time.

17. gerryatric macrumors newbie

Many Dead LaCie 500GB BigDisks

Almost all of our LaCie Big Disks ( like 6 out of 8 ) that we got for backups are dead. These are the ones with two 250 GB drives in them. I have only taken two apart and one had Maxtor and the other had Western Digital. The drives seem OK to reuse once they are reformatted. They all died the same death, they would disapear off the desktop. Sometimes they would re-appear with a restart. Too bad they seemed like good drives.
    I too have a two year old D2 200GB at home and not a single problem but is is the single drive unit. The complaints seem to be about the double drive units. We thought it was related to heat since the suckers get pretty hot. I would believe the power supply gets fried. The last failure ( yesterday ) showed a dim blue flickering light. When I opened the drive case and connected drive power cables to the external case stretched out from inside a G4, the light was back full strength, but they still won't show up on the desktop. My investigation continues.....

18. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

we have 2 lacie hard drives in our household - i have a 120gb one purchased a couple of years ago, and my husband has a 250gb one purchased earlier this year. no problems or complaints about either...

19. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I was a die hard fan of LaCie but now i think i switched to WesternDigital, they have nice products for a nice price. I just bought the 160GB mobil modle and it was great on my last 3 day trip to the US.

20. Edge100 macrumors 68000

My LaCie has served me well for extensive audio recording duties for nearly two years.

21. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

I just got a LaCie 250GB Porsche HardDrive. I'm unhappy with it at the moment. It takes 20 minutes to mount, and as I type this... it hasn't mounted, and I've left it for 30 minutes, so I don't know what's up.