Lacie Hard Drives....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Joeytpg, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

Guys i REALLY need a portable external Hard Drive, if been thinking about a Lasie, i've heard good things about this brand.......the thing is i want something "portable" because, i won't use this external hd to "backup" i'll use it as a primarely hd too, so if i take out my powerbook to a friend's house, i'll need the external drive as well............... i took a look at the Mobile drives Lasie offers but they're TOO expensive.....i'd love to get a Lasie silverscreen that allows me to view my pictures and videos on a regular T.V. but honestly it's 300 dollars. and the other regular mobile drives are around that price too (at least the 100 gb)

So who in here has a Lasie drive that could recommend, or another GOOD SOLID brand that has GOOD drives but HEAVY and BIG external Drives are a NO NO....

what i need: Portability/mobility, Duration/quality, relatively low price (in between the 100 - 200 dollars)

can anyone help me?

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I love my LaCie Mobile. I just got it this week, but man is it nice. It's only 40 GB but that's enough for me. The thing is tiny, I still can't quite believe its a hard drive. And the bus powered feature is awesome. Mine was only $100 at LA Computer Company if you want one.

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i dont think these are cheap but i can vouch for their reliability and buiild quality

wiebetech!!! its a smaller company than lacie but great products great support and comes very highly recommended by many friends

4. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

do you think an internal hard drive + enclosure will cover my needs?.....i need at lest 80 gb H.D.

cheap, space, quality, portability??

portability is a BIG issue for me...... what's the use of a PORTABLE computer if my external hd ain't portable... and it's full of IMPORTANT info

thanks for the help guys! :)

5. evilernie macrumors 6502

evilernie

Porsche

I've got a Lacie external firewire drive (the one designed by Porsche). It's 160gb, looks cool, and it was worth every penny. I'm seriously considering getting another one. :D

6. wolfpacker macrumors newbie

I, too, am thinking of getting a second one of those (mine is smaller though). Want to set one up as a mirror of the other to provide regular backup of my data (photos, tunes, etc).

7. macreator macrumors regular

macreator

I purchased a Lacie D2 Hard Drive Extreme 160 GB last July and I love it. For me the idea that I can have it stand up on my desk in between a few books is fabulous. The drive is very quiet, spins up and spins down when my PowerBook goes to sleep and wakes up and is quite quick. The drive looks fabulous, has a solid feeling to it that I love, the alluminum case really looks sylish and makes me feel more confident in a way that my data is safe. The drive has worked perfectly for me, no problems except that the blue light on the drive kept me up at night the first few days I had it until I moved the drive a few feet over on my desk out of my viewrange from my bed :) .

8. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Yeah, I've got one too. I'm thinking about getting the 250GB to pair up with this one.

9. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I've got the 250GB Porsche LaCie drive, and it's so quiet, compliments my PowerBook nicely. A buddy of mine went through a couple of bad 160GB versions, but I have had 0 problems with mine.