LaCie Launches 'Rugged' Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 Portable Drives

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 25, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

LaCie has released a new entry in its Rugged series of portable storage drives. This time, it's a Thunderbolt/USB3 offering that comes equipped with a 1TB 5400rpm hard drive or either a 120GB or 256GB 6Gb/s solid state drive. LaCie says the SSD runs at speeds of up to 380MB/s.

[​IMG]

The 1TB version is $249, while the 120GB and 256GB SSD's are $199 and $349 respectively. They're available at Apple Stores and at LaCie.com.

Article Link: LaCie Launches 'Rugged' Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 Portable Drives

2. macrumors regular

Pricing isn't too bad.

3. macrumors 6502

RoelJuun

The prices for SSD/TB start to become more attractive imo.

4. macrumors member

Wow, thats a BIG price drop in mobile SSD drives.

----------

fugly though ... and whyTF do i need shock protection on an SSD drive? Make it tiny

5. macrumors 6502a

available in Cheez Nip Yellow!

6. macrumors member

saxofunk

With cable!

Thunderbolt and USB 3 cables included makes this a real deal. 2m Thunderbolt cable is $49 and the FW/USB3 model is $200 - the only extra charge is for the cable really. Good job LaCie.

7. macrumors regular

Otherwise known as orange

on topic, very tempted, seems good value

8. macrumors member

Awesome! This will be my next external.

9. macrumors member

5400rpm drive? may as well just use USB 2.0

SSD options look nice though

10. macrumors 601

Icaras

Finally, the price is falling, but the drive is butt ugly. Pass until they make something like half an inch thick or something.

Also, I don't know the exact specifics, but is it not possible to add a second thunderbolt port for daisy chaining on a TB power bussed drive? I'd like to see some Thunderbolt daisy chaining singular platter drives that are bus powered. No RAIDs please.

11. AngerDanger, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012

macrumors 68000

AngerDanger

With a bulgy design like that, it better be able to float on water or something.

[​IMG]

*of course it doesn't

12. macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Very good prices, especially with the Thunderbolt cable included.

Considering their orange rugged line is usually more expensive, I can't wait to see the price of their regular, non-rugged line:

[​IMG]

13. macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Agreed!!! It's a steal!!! It's just a shame that it doesn't have two thunderbolt ports on it.

14. macrumors 65816

I will take a A/C power cord anytime vs only having one thunderbolt port on a device. Those of us with the current iMac 21.5 (and other thunderbolt equipped computers) really need some devices that do not end the chain. (As an alternative, could someone develop a thunderbolt hub device like USB has to give more ports that way?)

Still, I am glad to start to see more affordable SSD options, when it comes time to upgrade to SSD, I don't want to have to open the iMac at all.

15. macrumors regular

Yeah, that makes NO sense at all. Like trying to run a ferrari on grass and oats (or put high-octane gas in a draft horse).

16. needfx, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012

macrumors 68030

needfx

avoid contact with water; risk of scuffing

17. macrumors regular

How is this a good deal if you can buy a Samsung M3 1TB USB 3 hard drive for $ 105?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-M3-Po...qid=1348599931&sr=8-1&keywords=Samsung+M3+1TB

Thunderbolt or USB 3 doesn't matter right now in therms of speed for single drives and the rugged enclosure doesn't really help that much with ordinary hard drives, but paying $ 145 more for luxury is useless.

The SSD version could at least be only a case, in case you want to swap the drive. Then it could be a good value for the money. Otherwise this is a ripoff.

18. macrumors 68030

baryon

Fairly good prices, plus no need for a power adapter (right?) is great!

19. macrumors newbie

DamonBowser

I like your reason :D

20. macrumors regular

You're right -- assuming you have USB 3.0. I have two one-year old Macs that don't have USB 3.0 but do have Thunderbolt. I guess I could get a Thunderbolt to FireWire 800 adapter, but if I wanted a fast mobile hard drive for my Air, this would seem to be an easy way to go.

21. macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Not really, the SSD ones will be much faster than USB 3 external SSDs. Maybe you don't need the extra speed but let's not compare USB 3 and Thunderbolt external SSDs as they don't provide the same performance. At this price the speed/price ratio is getting better with Thunderbolt.

As for the HDD one, it's true that there's no performance gain over USB 3 but let's not forget that there's a bunch of Macs sold in the last two years and even right now that have Thunderbolt but no USB 3 ports. Those people may want to get speeds over USB 2 without changing their whole computer.

22. macrumors 68020

jclardy

Hmm, i'll have to see a review for these. $199 would be nice as an external video editing drive. Only problem would be that I can't plug into my external monitor and the drive at the same time...unless I bought an Apple Thunderbolt Display.

23. macrumors 68000

errr- no. I can edit 1080p off my rugged 5400 FW800. Definitely not off the same drive when connected up USB 2 (which it also has)

24. macrumors newbie

iKing7

Big fan of these drives. I have several. Glad to see they're on time for the new technology unlike so many other companies.

25. macrumors 68000

a rugged external SSD :rolleyes: obviously trying to profit from ignorant people.